ASPCA Animal Hospital Small Animal Rotating Internship
Our veterinary internship program provides excellent practical experience with a high caseload and strong mentorship. AAH interns participate in core rotations in the hospital, such as internal medicine, orthopedic surgery, emergency medicine, and soft tissue surgery. Interns also complete specialized rotations in recovery medicine for victims of animal cruelty, veterinary forensics, and shelter medicine. Our interns leave with a deeper knowledge of veterinary medicine and the ability to apply it in a variety of circumstances to advance animal welfare. Apply today on our ASPCA jobs website or email us for more information!
"The things you'll learn here, you really do take with you for the rest of your career."
VIRMP is the first program veterinarian students should apply to. VIRMP opens to applicants each November and closes in January. The students that match with the ASPCA are accepted into the program first. If we still have open spots available, that’s when candidates should apply on the ASPCA career website.
- Animal Recovery Center (medical care of anti-cruelty patients)
- Forensic Veterinary Sciences
- Appointments (scheduled emergency cases)
- Treatment (procedures and overflow emergency cases)
- Soft tissue surgery: high-volume spay/neuter and working with staff doctors (pyometras, foreign bodies, cystotomies)
- Internal Medicine (with specialist)
- Specialty surgery (with specialist)
- Community Medicine
This depends on the rotation.
- During rotations like IM and Surgery, interns have the supervision of specialists.
- During Treatment, a staff doctor will always help and/or supervise the treatments interns perform.
- During ARC, the staff doctors directly supervise the management of inpatients and intakes
- During Appointments, the intern has the most primary case responsibility.
Interns do have on-call responsibilities but do not have overnight shifts.
Yes, we have an organization-wide mentorship program matching veterinarians with veterinarians. We also have a mentorship program within our location in NYC to allow for more targeted mentoring.
In the past five years, 4/5 applicants who have applied for a residency have matched.