Tips for Socializing a Puppy
The most critical aspect of raising a behaviorally healthy and happy puppy is to provide plenty of exposure to people, other animals, new places, and fun experiences, which can be challenging during times of social distancing.
The animal behaviorists at the ASPCA recommend relying on frequent and varied walks, and conducting safe doggy playdates to continue to socialize your puppy while responsibly following CDC social-distancing guidelines.
Download this puppy socializing PDF to learn:
- Ways to change up your walk that you may not have thought of, including recommended places to visit, things to encounter, and phrases to say to your pup
- Tips for approaching people and proper leash techniques during your walks
- How to arrange a pick-up and drop-off while practicing safe social distancing
- What kinds of things to consider about the health of each dog when scheduling a playdate
- How to keep yourself and your pets safe while still socializing in fun, positive ways
We have lots more on this subject:
Featured Tools & TipsSee All
Managing and Training Leash-Reactive Dogs
Help your dog adopters and foster caregivers manage and train leash-reactive dogs by downloading and sharing this PDF.
Preventing & Treating Separation Anxiety in Dogs
Share these resources with dog adopters and foster families to help them recognize and treat the signs and symptoms of separation anxiety.
Behavior Tips for Living with Intact Dogs and Cats
Share these behavior tips with foster caregivers and adopters living with intact dogs and cats when spay/neuter surgeries are temporarily unavailable.