Right Horse Initiative Adoption Partners and organizations participating in the Right Horse Initiative’s Warm-Up Ring are invited to apply for a grant of up to $60,000 to support an increase in capacity and/or efficiency of programs aimed at adopting out retired racehorses. Up to $275,000 in total is available for this grant opportunity.
Funding requests for this grant initiative should focus on:
- Innovations that increase capacity, decrease length of stay, and/or improve adoption statistics. Examples:
- training programs
- foster placement programs
- adoption programs
- Medical make-ready. Examples:
- therapeutic shoeing
- surgeries to repair racing-related injuries
- collaborative programs with veterinary colleges
- Collaborations with industry partners to increase support for retired racehorses
Applicants will be evaluated on their potential (within the 12-month grant term) to:
- decrease length of stay
- decrease cost of care
- increase the number of horses that can be rehabbed, trained, and placed
Programs that test innovative ideas and encourage positive shifts from conventional attitudes held by some in the equine industry about rescue horses are welcome.
Right Horse Partners and active Warm-Up Ring participants are eligible to apply for this grant opportunity.
See details below
Strong proposals will clearly articulate:
- the problem/ challenge/ process the proposal aims to improve
- the proposed solution
- the intended impact
- the number of horses who will be affected, and the increase over the prior year
Proposals must also include a detailed budget for how the grant funds will be used.
- RFP will open on June 7 at 9 a.m. ET
- RFP will close on June 28 at 5 p.m. ET
- Finalists will be notified via email on or around July 9th and invited to complete a formal application in our grant management system.
- Download the application questions and required information to prepare to complete the form in one session.
Please be sure all requested information is included in your responses. Applications cannot be revised after submission.