How to Create a Customer-Friendly Horse Adoption Application
Creating good matches for your adoptable equines starts with a welcoming frame of mind and a customer-friendly adoption interest survey or application.
Get a Fresh Perspective
Look at your adoption process from an adopter’s point of view. Engage the help of a friend who’s not involved with your organization for a fresh set of eyes.
- Consider what newcomers see when they first come across your horses or organization.
- Do your facility, website, and social media pages easily lead them towards adopting? Use this marketing checklist to make sure you're maximizing the use of all your channels.
- Are there good pictures and videos for your horses available for adoption? Are the horse descriptions transparent and engaging?
Create a Horse Adoption Interest Survey Instead of an Application
To an adopter, the term “application” might make them feel like they’re being scrutinized or tested. Changing the title of your form to adoption interest survey shifts the dynamic to a collaborative, positive relationship where your only intention is to find a good match for the adopter and the horse.
Regardless of what you call your form, consider these two questions:
- Is it simple and easy to complete? Adding unnecessary friction to the process can deter your horse’s potential adopter from taking the next step towards adoption.
- What is the most critical information you must have at that first step to continue the conversation? Cut out the rest, knowing that your adoption interest form is simply the first step of several in the relationship-building process.
Respond in a Timely Manner
Do you have a process in place to quickly respond to adoption inquiries?
- If you can’t talk to potential adopters immediately, a quick, personal note thanking them for their interest and indicating when you’ll follow up with more details ensures that adopters feel supported and informed.
- Even if you don’t have the right horse for the adopter right now, there’s tremendous potential in keeping adopters engaged with your organization! Remember that potential adopters have many other options when they’re seeking a new horse. By making the first steps of the adoption process welcoming and enjoyable, you have the best chance possible of capturing their interest and leading to a completed adoption—whether that’s now or in the future.
Download our sample adoption interest survey and consider these simple refinements to transform your adoption process and help more horses find homes.
Learn how the Animal Rescue League of Iowa increased horse adoptions with customer-friendly adoption policies.
We have lots more on this subject:
Featured Tools & TipsSee All
How to Write Horse Adoption Listings
Learn how to attract equine adopters by writing compelling and transparent descriptions for every horse in your care.
Marketing Checklist for Horse Adoption Organizations
Use our checklist to ensure you’re following marketing best practices for your website, social media, email, and more to adopt out more equines.
Latest NewsSee All
ASPCA “Relinquishers Welcome” Grants Help Equines Get Adopted
Discover how ASPCA “Relinquishers Welcome” grants helped Animal Rescue League of Iowa and Kentucky Human Society save more horses.