Are you looking for a rewarding leadership position in a diverse, vibrant, affordable city, where creativity and a culture of continuous improvement drives organizational culture? PAWS is seeking a Medical Director to lead our delivery of veterinary services, and to play an instrumental role in achieving our ultimate goal of making Philadelphia a no-kill city. As the city’s largest rescue partner and provider of affordable basic veterinary care for community pets, our passionate team works every day to end pet homelessness and to provide top-quality care to dogs and cats with medical and surgical needs who would otherwise not have a chance.
The Medical Director has both clinical responsibilities (approximately 60%) and administrative responsibilities (approximately 40%). Clinical practice includes: performing HQHVSN surgeries and additional specialty surgeries as needed, conducting routine wellness and sick visits for pets whose owners rely on PAWS for affordable care, performing examinations and determining treatment plans for our in-house and foster population of rescued animals, and consulting and collaborating with specialty veterinary partners on special cases. (For more details on PAWS staff veterinarians’ role, please see this job description.) Administrative responsibilities include: upholding and updating PAWS’ current medical procedures and protocols in keeping with industry best practices; establishing new protocols as needed; providing insight and oversight for in-house and foster animals with complex medical or surgical needs; and, leading and mentoring a cohesive and productive medical staff in partnership with the Director of Operations.
The Medical Director acts as a liaison among multiple departments within the organization to ensure optimal treatment and outcomes for animals who come into PAWS’ care. Therefore, the successful applicant must have excellent interpersonal, communication, and decision-making skills and be able to work well with staff with widely varying levels of medical knowledge. The ability to think practically about medical care, balancing animal welfare and “gold standard” practices with cost and reasonable outcomes, is essential.
Benefits of PAWS employment:
- Competitive salary and retention bonus.
- Moving stipend considered for outstanding out-of-state applicants.
- Potential eligbility for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF).
- 9am-5pm schedule, with no on-call duties.
- Medical, dental, and prescription insurance coverage.
- 401(k) plan with employer matching.
- Major holidays off (the shelter is closed).
- Paid time off (PTO).
- Yearly Continuing Education allowance, and up to four paid days off to attend conferences/participate in CE.
- Veterinary Medical Malpractice Liability coverage.
- VIN membership.
- Pennsylvania bi-annual license renewal fees.
- DEA license renewal fees.
- Free and heavily discounted clinic services, lab work and medications for your personal pets.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Voluntary benefits (long- and short-term disability, life, and accident insurance).
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter and resume to Natalie Smith, Director of Operations, at email@example.com.