FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: The Animal Care Attendant (ACA) is a vital member of the MAR team who provides compassionate and attentive care of all the animals under the shelter’s care. The ACA maintains a clean and healthy environment for both the animals and the public. The ACA is also critical in assisting both staff and members of the public by facilitating adoption meets and placements, processing and performing intake assessments and exams for newly arrived animals, and other duties as assigned.
● Following all policy and procedures as well as working effectively, efficiently, and in accordance with the organization’s policies.
● Treating all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times
● Monitoring the health and behavior of both newly arrived animals as well as residents within the shelter.
● Reports any health or behavioral concerns of animals to the shelter medical team.
● Performs daily and thorough cleaning for all animals, including feeding of residents and providing necessary enrichment to sustain their mental well being.
● Janitorial duties, including but not limited to laundry, cleaning of the shelter grounds (both inside and outside), sweeping, moping, removal of trash.
● Timely and accurate data entry into the shelter’s software management system for all animals; including intake processing (surrenders, strays, and transfers) and outcomes (adoptions, return to owner, transfers) as needed.
● General customer service duties including but not limited to assisting prospective adopters or surrenderers over phone and scheduling appointments for visits to the shelter.
● Assists with euthanasia procedures as needed as well as proper disposal of remains once the procedure is finished.
● Proper handling of all fees and donations given to the Morris Animal Refuge, including but not limited to cash, debit, credit, or check transactions.
● Assists with the cleaning and maintenance of offsite adoption centers as requested by management.
● Assists prospective adopters in meeting new animals, reviewing medical and behavioral information accurately, and assisting with dog to dog introductions if needed.
● Administering vaccinations, examination, and performance of medical treatments as requested.
● Must be able to lift up to forty (40) pounds and within short distances as needed.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented
in this description.
Must have open weekend availability.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive wage will be commensurate with experience, starting at $13 –15/hr IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR Shelter Manager
HOURS FLSA STATUS: NON-EXEMPT POSITION
Full-time position requires a minimum of seven and a half (7.5) hours per day, thirty seven and a half (37.5) hours per week. Part-time position hours are dictated by the needs of the organization and may carry a maximum of thirty (30) hours per week. Daily hours and days of the week (for both full and part-time positions) may vary according to the needs of the department schedule: days, nights, weekends, holidays,and on-call work.
INTRODUCTORY ASSESSMENT PERIOD The introductory assessment period runs from the date of hire for three months thereafter. For employment in any position with the Morris Animal Refuge, this introductory assessment period is the period during which the specifics of the job are learned. During this period, either the employee or the Morris Animal Refuge may end the employment relationship without notice or prejudice.
EMPLOYMENT There is no minimum period of employment guaranteed or implied by acceptance of an employment offer. It is the policy of Morris Animal Refuge that even exempt positions are governed by the needs of the agency, which means that employment is for no specified term and either Morris Animal Refuge or the employee, may terminate that employment at any time. The Executive Director has final authority over these decisions and determinations.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to the shelter manager Josiah Ortiz, at email@example.com