Purpose of Position: The League’s clinical and surgical instructor cultivates learning opportunities for League externs; providing direct supervision in fast-paced shelter and community medicine environments, including support, consultation, and guidance for externs regarding case management, diagnostics, and surgery. This is also an adjunct faculty position with Colorado State University Veterinary School and serves as a liaison between the League and CSU.
- Manage the League’s veterinary externship program, including active instruction, grading, evaluation, and coordination.
- Directly supervise, coach and mentor veterinary externs on a day-to-day basis, specifically in their provision of veterinary medicine.
- Receive training from CSU veterinary school faculty initially and intermittently thereafter, to ensure a quality and consistent extern experience.
- Serve as a liaison between potential externs, veterinary schools, and the League.
- Serve as lead advocate and voice for externs within the League’s veterinary services.
- Provide outstanding diagnostic, clinical, and surgical care for the shelter animals and owned pets within a spectrum of care in the League’s shelter and community medicine practices.
- Perform and teach surgical procedures on a regular basis with an emphasis on HQHVSN. Dentistry, various soft tissue and orthopedic procedures may also be included.
- Effectively and compassionately communicate with owners of pets and the community.
- Work with other departments to coordinate care and quarantine of infectious disease animals effectively and efficiently.
- Cultivate a culture of collaboration, teamwork and learning within veterinary services and throughout the League.
- Work in collaboration with the Philanthropy team to support fundraising efforts and campaigns, such as providing impact stories and reports resulting in financial support.
- Participate in donor events, meetings, and tours.
- Ensure program grant compliance and quality of services and evaluations.
- Serve as a veterinary ambassador with community partners, promoting the League’s mission, goals and strategic initiatives including Socially Conscious Sheltering and Animal Communities to veterinarians, vendors, the public, and other animal welfare related organizations.
Shift Details: Full Time Staff Veterinarians work Three to Four, 10-hour shifts
Full Time Benefits* – Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits. *Benefits and compensation range listed below apply to full time employees working 40 hours a week.*
- Benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Flexible spending accounts
- League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Sabbatical Program
- Holiday Pay
- Veterinarians are eligible for student loan reimbursement
- Up to $2,000 Relocation Assistance
- And more!
Compensation: $120,000 - $145,000 annually (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity)
- Skilled and proficient diagnostician
- Strong teaching and mentorship skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- High emotional intelligence
- Ability to effectively communicate in writing
- Effective time management skills with the ability to triage cases and workload
- Ability to work well within a fast-paced environment
- High attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Education: Doctoral degree in veterinary medicine
- Work Experience: Five years of experience practicing veterinary medicine in a variety of practices including private practice
- Special Training, Certification and/or Licensure:
- Eligible to obtain a Colorado Veterinary License.
- If driving a League vehicle, valid driver’s license and insurable driving record are required.
- Current or ability to obtain DEA license
- Experience working in animal sheltering and welfare
- Experience performing orthopedic surgeries and dentistry
- Experience as a teacher or mentor of veterinary students or interns
- Leadership or management experience in a clinic, hospital, or shelter environment
How to Apply
Please visit our Careers Page to apply!