Ivermectin has been in the news a lot recently, and you may be getting inquiries from your community about this veterinary drug.
The ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) put together a download you can share with the pet owners in your community to keep their pets healthy, happy, and safe.
What Is Ivermectin Used For?
Ivermectin (a drug in the avermectin family) is used for the control of parasites in animals. It’s mainly used to treat gastrointestinal and lung parasites and certain external parasites found in cattle, sheep, horses, dogs, cats, and swine. It can also be used as heartworm prevention in dogs and cats.
This drug comes in several different formulations, including intravenous, oral solutions, paste, topicals, chewable tablets, and more.
Ivermectin should only be used and administered to pets when directed by a veterinarian.
Signs and Symptoms of Overdose in Dogs and Cats
In the case of an overdose in dogs or cats, serious or even fatal signs can occur. Signs can include:
Ataxia (impaired balance or coordination)
Slowed heart rate
Recumbency (frequent leaning, reclining, or resting)
Tell your community to immediately contact their veterinarian or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 1-888-426-4435 if they believe their pet may have overdosed on ivermectin or ingested something potentially toxic.