Vet Tech Corner: LSD Toxicosis in Animals
Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) – also known as Acid – is an indole-derived with strong hallucinogenic effects.
The ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center reports that when a pet is exposed, signs typically develop within 90 minutes and can last up to 12 hours.
You may see disorientation, mydriasis, sedation, changes in behavior (such as increased grooming and play) and potentially hallucinations.
Treatment is generally simple and consists of confining the pet in a dark, quiet room. Most cases of serious harm with LSD occur with misadventure secondary to hallucinations, so proper confinement is a must.
Often, pets can be monitored at home. If signs are significant, a benzodiazepine and fluids can be administered in the hospital.
Because LSD is frequently adulterated with other drugs, pets should be monitored closely and if signs are seen beyond what is typically expected with LSD, they should be presented to the veterinary hospital.
We have lots more on this subject:
Featured Tools & TipsSee All
Room-By-Room Household Pet Poison Checklist
Help your clients keep their pets safe by sharing this room-by-room pet poison checklist with them.
What Is Ivermectin?
Discover how ivermectin is used in veterinary medicine and the potentially harmful side effects caused by accidental exposure in pets.
Ice Melt Toxicity in Pets
Learn the symptoms and treatments for ice melt ingestion in pets. Plus, discover pet-friendly alternatives to melting snow and ice.
Latest NewsSee All
Maddie’s Fund Awards Dr. Lila Miller the 2021 Avanzino Leadership Award
Discover how Dr. Lila Miller championed the field of shelter medicine and received a leadership award from a prominent animal welfare organization.