How to Create Electronic Certificates of Veterinary Inspection
Organizations that transport animals out of state for the purpose of adoption require valid certificates of veterinary inspection (CVI) for each animal being transported. CVIs, commonly referred to as “health certificates,” are regulated at the state level. Many states are moving towards requiring an electronic CVI and will no longer allow the paper USDA 7001 form because the forms are difficult to trace and create a higher risk for fraud. As of January 2021, all ASPCA Animal Relocation team program partners use electronic CVIs.
Electronic CVIs offer many advantages, including the fact that they save time and are easy to edit, read, search, store, and share. USDA-accredited veterinarians are ultimately responsible for completing CVIs, ensuring accuracy regarding requirements for animal entry, utilizing acceptable forms, and submitting CVIs to the appropriate origin and destination state officials
Below is a list of companies that offer electronic animal health certificates for interstate movement and an overview of their services. Some of these companies may offer discounts based on non-profit/government status or existing partnerships. Note that the ASPCA does not officially recommend any of these companies, nor are we affiliated with any of them. You should discuss this information with the USDA-accredited veterinarian who completes your CVIs.
- Fast, easy eCVI creation and submission for all species
- Auto-fill options for animal and organization information
- Automatic CVI delivery to state veterinary offices
- Easy-to-read standardized certificate layout
- Precise identification including digital photos
- Approved for use in all 50 States
- USDA approved digital signature technology
- Mobile capability
- Subscription and/or per certificate fees may apply
- Free digital Rabies Vaccination Certificates
- CVIs can be created offline
- Mobile app that works on Apple or Android device
- Web page interface for use on any computer with internet access
- Staff can fill out the form for the veterinarian to sign
- Automatically submits the CVI to the State Veterinarian’s Office
- Replaces the mCVI app
- subscription and/or per certificate fees may apply
Veterinary Services Process Streamlining (VSPS)
- Provides service for livestock animals, such as equine and bovine only (no dogs and cats)
- Free web-based CVI option developed and administered by USDA/APHIS
- Approved for use in all states
- Requires Level 2 eAuthentication with USDA. eAuthentication is a registration process that enables users to securely access USDA Web applications and services via the Internet.
- Read the steps for creating a Level 2 e-Authentication account
We have lots more on this subject:
Featured Tools & TipsSee All
Latest NewsSee All
A Pup Named Pumpernickel is ASPCA Spay/Neuter Alliance’s 500,000th Patient
As of October 11, 2022, half a million animals have been spayed and neutered by the ASPCA Spay/Neuter Alliance (ASNA). The landmark patient was a puppy named Pumpernickel.