Dextromethorphan Ingestion in Pets
Dextromethorphan is a non-addictive opioid that acts centrally by increasing the cough threshold, and is an ingredient that gets a lot of attention at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center during cold and flu season.
At high doses of ingestion, we can serotonin agonist activity. The most common signs are those associated with an allergic reaction to the dextromethorphan – urticaria and facial swelling. These signs can be treated the same as other allergic reactions with antihistamines and corticosteroids, if needed.
At low doses, we can see vomiting and lethargy. At very high doses, we can see agitation, tachycardia, tremors, and seizures.
In most cases, pets can be monitored at home. With pets who are showing more significant signs, treatment is largely symptomatic and supportive.
IV fluids can help with the excretion. Benzodiazepines are typically recommended for tremoring and seizing pets. Chlorpromazine, acepromazine, or cyproheptadine can be used for serotonin syndrome. Naloxone can be used to reverse significant CNS depression.
We have lots more on this subject:
Featured Tools & TipsSee All
Top 10 Pet Toxins of 2022
Find out which toxins resulted in the most calls to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center in 2022.
Pet Poison Prevention Infographics and Resources
Download and share these crucial poison-prevention infographics, references, and resources to protect pets.
Fall Toxins to Watch Out for Around Pets
Keep your pets protected this fall by watching out for toxins, including rat poison, that can be harmful to them.
Latest NewsSee All
Maddie’s Fund Awards Dr. Lila Miller the 2021 Avanzino Leadership Award
Discover how Dr. Lila Miller championed the field of shelter medicine and received a leadership award from a prominent animal welfare organization.