Job Description – Veterinary AssistantVeterinary assistants care for animals under the supervision of a veterinarian or veterinary technician.Veterinary Assistant Duties & Responsibilities Veterinary assistants perform all aspects of routine pet care.
- Feed animals and monitor whether they're eating.
- Bathe pets when necessary.
- Exercise the animals.
- Assist veterinarians and vet technicians with lab work.
- Clean, sterilize, and maintain kennels, operating rooms, examining rooms, cages, and surgical equipment.
- Comfort and restrain pets during examinations and care.
- Provide first aid to pets in an emergency, stabilizing them until a doctor can take over.
- Administer medications to pets.
- Perform some lab work such as drawing blood and collecting urine samples.
- Perform some clerical duties.
Veterinary Assistant Skills & Competencies The following soft skills and personal qualities are instrumental to your success in this field:
- Active listening: Strong listening skills are necessary to understand and follow veterinarians' and veterinary technicians' instructions.
- Monitoring: The ability to notice changes in animals' conditions will allow you to take appropriate action.
- Service orientation: Veterinary assistants need a strong desire to help others.
- Problem solving: You must be able to identify and solve problems.
- Critical thinking: This skill will allow you to determine what your options are when making decisions or solving problems, to evaluate them, and then to choose the one with the most promising outcome.
- Focus: You'll have to remain calm and on task in what is often a busy and even chaotic environment with numerous distractions.
- Physical fitness: You'll have to be able to lift heavy objects and animals.
Required ExperienceAt least a year working in a high volume clinic, with a licensed Veterinarian and Veterinary Technicians
How to Apply
Please email your resume to email@example.com