Important - Please read
The job postings provided on this webpage are for informational purposes only, and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) does not confirm the accuracy or completeness of any job listing or other information submitted by any third party to this site. The ASPCA is not acting as an employment agent by providing this information nor is the ASPCA an employer with respect to any posting unless otherwise specifically stated in the posting. The ASPCA assumes no responsibility, and disclaims all liability for the content, accuracy, completeness, legality, reliability or availability of any job listing. The ASPCA is not responsible for any employment decisions, for whatever reason, made by any employer posting jobs on this webpage other than decisions related to job postings for positions with the ASPCA. Any rights or claims any person may have under any applicable law (e.g., employment, equal employment, antidiscrimination, Fair Credit Reporting Act, etc.) may only be asserted against the employer and not the ASPCA.
DescriptionPosition: Medical Manager Department: Adoption CenterExempt/Non-Exempt: Non-Exempt, full time position. Hours and days will vary depending on organizational needs. May include weekend and holiday work.Immediate Supervisor: Director of Operations Availability: Brother Wolf operates 7 days a week, 365 days a year as animals need daily care. Animal caregivers must be available to be scheduled for work, any day, between the hours of 8am and 7pm without other conflicts (other jobs, school, etc). General Position Summary: The Medical Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of the Medical Department, including scheduling, staffing, managing inventory and ordering, and administrative duties of the department. Ensures the Medical Department runs smoothly and effectively day to day. Essential Function/Major Responsibilities:
- Supervise, coach, train, evaluate and discipline Medical Department staff.
- Schedule employees in the Medical Department to ensure adequate staff coverage, including managing overnight on call schedule and phone.
- Schedule all appointments with outside veterinary partners, coordinating transportation for the animal and communicating with foster parents and shelter staff.
- Enter medical information and data into shelter software system for all animals in care.
- Monitor the medical department email address and voicemail and ensures voicemails and emails are responded to promptly and effectively.
- Oversee the ordering of medical supplies, ensuring proper inventory and control of medications, tracking spending and working within the department’s budget.
- Ensure the medical department is kept clean, sanitary and organized.
- Actively participate in the Animal Care and Support Team, reviewing the needs of each animal in care and makes decisions regarding medical and behavioral support, as well as euthanasia decisions for animals when they are irremediably suffering.
- Manages care of all Lifelong Friends animals by communicating with owners and private veterinarians to ensure all care is provided.
- Treats all animals humanely, properly, and with compassion at all times, regardless of the situation or circumstance.
- Minimum 2 years of prior experience working in the animal medical field, preferably in a shelter environment.
- Minimum 2 years experience managing a team.
- Excellent organizational and accounting skills.
- Familiarity with preventive, therapeutic and diagnostic veterinary treatment of domestic animals and diseases common to them.
- Knowledge of contemporary shelter medicine and clinic maintenance techniques and accepted sanitary practices.
- Comfortable making decisions in regard to euthanasia.
- Comfort and ability to work with animals of unknown disposition and those who exhibit medical and other problems, as well as aggressive tendencies.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, customer service, and time management skills are essential.
- Ability and initiative, working with minimal supervision and direction.
- Maturity, excellent judgment, and a professional personal appearance.
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a valid driver's license and, if hired, be able to bring clean driving printout from DMV.
- Ability to read, write, and understand English is required. Bilingual skills a plus.
- Foster and nurture relationships and public relations beneficial to the organization and our programs. Demonstrate the Brother Wolf mission, values and vision.
- Work collaboratively with all other departments and staff within Brother Wolf.
- Physical ability to walk and or stand on your feet throughout a normal workday required. Ability to bend and squat.
- Physical ability to engage in repetitive motions of legs, arms, and hands and to hear and see clearly.
- Physical ability to push up to 150lbs and to carry up to 50lbs regularly and independently throughout a regular workday required.
- Allergic conditions, which may be aggravated when handling or working with animals, may be a disqualification.
How to ApplyEmail resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org