New York State Animal Population Control Program
Timeframe: Ongoing (no deadline)
The New York State Animal Population Control Program (APCP) is a low-cost spay/neuter grant program administered by The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals® (ASPCA) on behalf of the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets.
The following types of organizations are eligible to apply for APCP grant funds:
- New York municipal or county animal shelters and animal control; or
- New York-based 501(c)(3) non-profit animal welfare organizations, including low-cost spay/neuter clinics
NOTE: 501(c)(3) applicants must adhere to certain minimum requirements. See APCP Guidelines for details.
Designated Beneficiaries of APCP Grant Projects
As required by New York State law, the allocation of APCP grant funds is restricted to entities providing low-cost spay/neuter services to pet parents who:
- Receive public assistance;
- Adopted their dogs and/or cats from a qualified New York State nonprofit or government organization.
Eligible pet parents must be New York State residents.
NOTE: Funds granted through APCP may NOT be used for feral or community cat programs or projects that primarily benefit feral or community cats.
Proposals may include the following types of funding requests:
- Co-pay, voucher, or similar programs
- Infrastructure, capital improvements, and equipment, including mobile clinic vehicles and costs associated with vehicles
- Spay/neuter events and/or programs
- Payroll and expense support for new staff hires, including veterinarians, vet techs, or other staff
- Costs associated with the implementation, expansion, and sustainability of HQHVSN programs
- Other projects that either directly or indirectly provide demonstrable low-cost spay/neuter services to Designated Beneficiaries.
- Costs associated with the training of staff and veterinarians in low-cost spay/neuter techniques for HQHVSN, subject to the ASPCA’s Grants vs Expenses Policy.
- Submit one project per application. If your organization is seeking APCP funding for more than one project, it is acceptable to submit multiple applications.
- Organizations may reapply through the normal process at any time.
- There are no deadlines to submit applications.
- There are no minimums or maximums for requested grant amounts. However, funded grant amounts may differ from requested amounts.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Counties may apply for exemption from the APCP. See below for details.
- Organizations located in counties that are exempt from the APCP, including the 5 boroughs, may apply for APCP funds. If funds are awarded, they may only be used for spay/neuter services for Designated Beneficiaries residing in counties outside of the exempt county.
The Animal Population Control Program is mandated by New York State law and the ASPCA administers the APCP on behalf of the State. Therefore, eligibility, guidelines, restrictions, or any other controlling aspects of the administration of the APCP may be subject to change based on legal interpretation and any future amendments to the State law that created it or any amendments to the Master Agreement between the State of New York and the ASPCA.
Unless otherwise stated in the APCP Guidelines, the APCP is subject to the ASPCA’s general grant program requirements and guidelines.
How to Apply
- Apply via the ASPCA Grantee Portal
- Please read the APCP Guidelines prior to applying.
- Watch Getting Funding for Spay/Neuter Programs in NYS for additional information.
- Read an article about APCP here. Reprinted with permission, Association of Towns, April 2012.
For submission inquiries/technical difficulties, please contact the ASPCA Grants Team.