Cellulose rodenticides are especially popular in Canada but are also found in the U.S. Cellulose rodenticides are made from powdered corncobs and are marketed as being more “green” than anticoagulant or neurotoxic rodenticides.
They have less risk of causing toxicity in non-target species such as pets, livestock and children and they are biodegradable.
Cellulose rodenticides require exclusive feeding for 3 to 7 days to cause toxicity. The cellulose absorbs water and causes death in rodents from hypovolemic shock.
While cellulose rodenticides can be an issue for pets if ingested in large amounts, they rarely cause significant signs.
Emesis is sometimes warranted to reduce the risk of clinical signs.
Activated charcoal is strictly contraindicated.
IV fluids can be implemented if dehydration is a concern, but is rarely needed.