The ASPCA Spay Neuter Alliance offers training for surgical teams currently working in a mid- to high-volume spay/neuter setting. The program is mainly focused on teams working in a nonprofit setting or municipal shelter; however, we will be happy to host a team from a private practice providing that practice offers spay-neuter services to the community at no cost or subsidized rates. Please email us to discuss this option.
A "surgical team" consists of a veterinarian and up to three medical support staff. This program is offered year-round, is a four-day program (Monday - Thursday) and offers up to 25 AAVSB RACE and NYSED approved continuing education credits for veterinarians or certified/licensed veterinary technicians.
This program is open to participants from the U.S., Puerto Rico or other U.S. territories.
Apply for the Program
2. Confirm Training Dates: Your dates will be confirmed via email.
3. Make a Payment: Once your invoice has been received, please make payment within five business days. Please note that if you have to cancel your training, we will not be able to refund your payment, though we may be able to reschedule you if enough notice is given.
4. Submit Required Documentation: Once dates are confirmed, please submit a signed copy of the Memorandum of Understanding.
5. Apply for Temporary NC State License: Two months prior to your scheduled training, you will be sent the name and details of your instructor. With this information, if not licensed in North Carolina, veterinarians then apply for the North Carolina Veterinary Medical Board (NCVMB) 60-day temporary permit.
The application requires:
- Creating a registration login on the NCVMB website;
- A credit card, check, or e-check payment of $150;
- A transcript from college/school of veterinary medicine;
- License verification from state where currently licensed;
- A copy of your social security card.
Once our instructor receives the request through this system, and approves your application, the NCVMB will send us your permit. You will also receive an email confirmation that your permit has been approved.
6. Prepare for Training: