Purpose of Position: Assist veterinarians in providing medical care and treatment for animals, and exceptional customer service to patrons. This position works directly with underserved community members and their pets to provide high quality, affordable veterinary care.
- Monitor care and treatment of animals to ensure proper services and follow-up care are provided and completed efficiently.
- Provide first line, exceptional customer service to all patrons.
- Assist veterinarians in HQHV spay/neuter procedures.
- Assist veterinarians during HQHV drive-thru vaccine clinics.
- Induce anesthesia and intubate, monitor anesthesia, prepare patient for surgery, and keep thorough surgery logs and anesthesia sheets.
- Medicate, vaccinate, and treat animals as prescribed by veterinarian.
- Utilize proper animal handling and restraint.
- Ensure a smooth and timely flow of patients from check-in to discharge.
- Accurately review discharge patient instructions with clients and distribute educational materials as recommended by doctor.
- Thoroughly record conversations with clients including all recommendations, declined recommendations or waivers for treatments.
- Collect required laboratory samples and accurately process them for in-house laboratory tests.
- Maintain controlled substance drug logs as required.
- Use and maintain medical equipment.
- Perform accurate data entry into hospital software system to update client and animal records.
- Clean and maintain work areas.
- List needed inventory items on want list before the last one is taken, stock all areas of hospital as needed, monitor items for expiration dates.
- Maintain professional and courteous demeanor in challenging/stressful situations.
- Contribute to and lead initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions.
Organizational competencies apply to all jobs at the League; position competencies are specific to this position.
- Attention to Detail
- Managing Resources
- Technical Expertise
- Decision Making
- Results Oriented
- Time Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Conflict Management
Benefits – Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits.
- Benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Flexible spending accounts
- League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Holiday Pay
- CVTs are eligible for student loan reimbursement
Compensation: Starting at $20 per hour (uncertified); $21 per hour (certified veterinary technicians); (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity)
We have compassion and care about our employees, our volunteers, and the community. In a continued effort to ensure the safety of our employees, volunteers, and community members, all Dumb Friends League employees are required to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, or have an approved medical or religious exemption. New employees will be required to provide attestation to their status upon hire or have an approved medical or religious exemption. For questions, reach out to a member of the Human Resources team at email@example.com.
- Working knowledge of current veterinary practices
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated success in customer service
- Ability to work in a team environment
- High attention to detail
- Strong desire to serve under-resourced communities with respect and compassion
- Education: Associate’s degree in veterinary technology or equivalent experience
- Experience: Prior work experience in veterinary hospital setting
- Experience with EzyVet veterinary software
- Certified Veterinary Technician