DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Communicate professionally to veterinary staff, management, other shelter departments and clients as needed regarding all job responsibilities, especially the health of clinic patients
- Examines animals upon intake for disease, injuries, abnormalities or any health concerns and reports them to the Director of Veterinary Services. Inputs all findings and exams into the electronic medical record accurately.
- Perform medical care, including but not limited to: intramuscular and intravenous injections, medicating, vaccinating, subcutaneous fluids, endotracheal intubation, intravenous and urinary catheter placement, medical calculations for prescriptions and CRI’s and microchipping
- Collects laboratory samples including but not limited to: blood draws, cystocentesis, skin scrapings and cultures
- Perform diagnostics as ordered by the veterinarian: Read blood, fecal and urine cytologies, fungal cultures, run inhouse cbc and chemistry, urinalysis, oral and body radiographs
- Can lead surgery in a high-volume setting. Monitors animals and has a clear idea of abnormal conditions. Can respond appropriately in an emergency situation. Efficiently premedicate, induce, and intubate all patients as necessary.
- Assist in maintenance of all surgical and laboratory equipment
- Maintains an accurate logbook of controlled substances as required by the DEA
- Collaborate with veterinarian, management and lead surgical assistant to develop training courses for staff members
- Assist with clinic cleaning and surgical pack preparation as assigned
- Lead surgery in the Veterinary Wellness Center as assigned
- Performs all clinic assistant duties and other duties as assigned by management
- Passion for animals and animal welfare
- Minimum of one year Veterinary Technician experience required, previous anesthesia experience required, shelter experience desired
- Flexibility with scheduling
- Strong ability to multi-task
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must want to work to further your own learning by asking questions and doing personal research
Customer Service - Treats customers (internal and external) with respect and courtesy. Shows interest in, anticipates, and responds timely to customer needs and concerns. Goes beyond basic service expectations to help customers. Responds appropriately to and resolves difficult and emotional situations. Seeks ways to improve service delivery.
Diversity - Enthusiastically works with all employees, regardless of race, gender, culture, and age. Values contributions of people from diverse backgrounds. Demonstrates respect for opinions and ideas of others. Shows awareness of and
sensitivity to cultural and individual values.
Ethics - Respects and maintains confidentiality. Tells truth and is honest in all dealings. Avoids situations and actions considered inappropriate or which present a conflict of interest. Upholds organizational values. Does not misrepresent self or use position or authority for personal gain.
Teamwork - Listens and responds constructively to others views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Provides assistance to others when they need it. Shares expertise. Acknowledges others effort and contribution. Puts success of team above own interests. Creates a positive work environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Frequently required to stand, walk and bend over or stoop.
- Occasional exposure to wet and/or humid conditions (non-weather).
- Must occasionally lift and /or move up to 40 pounds.
- May be exposed to unpleasant odors, noises and animal bodily fluids or feces.
- May be exposed to aggressive, ill and/or injured animals, as well as bites, scratches, and infectious (zoonotic) animal diseases.
How to Apply
Please include cover letter with application and resume.