The veterinary surgeon is responsible primarily for surgery (not medical) patients and maintains autonomy over the running of the surgery suite. Surgeries performed include HQHVSN, dentistry (dental x-ray unit available), and other soft tissue surgeries (no orthopedics unless interested) for shelter animals and TNR clients only. GHS does not have a public clinic or provide post-adoption services. The position includes a flexible, four-day work week with limited, pre-determined after-hours on-call phone triage.
Eugene consistently ranks as one of the best places to live in Oregon and one of the best small cities in the United States. The community offers seamless integration of the surrounding environment through extensive parks and path systems so no matter where you are, you’re immersed in natural beauty. The Willamette Valley is recognized nationally as a top wine and craft brewing destination, has distinctively cool restaurants, and endless options for the outdoors enthusiast.
Employment at Greenhill Humane Society includes:
- A competitive salary that includes healthcare, continuing education, and dues allowance
- 401(k) with employer contribution
- Paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick days
- A generous employee pet care program including discounted clinic services, lab work, medications, and pet food
- A dedicated medical support staff
- A predictable work week with limited on-call responsibilities
- A culture of compassion and collaboration with a focus on excellence
- Relocation compensation if needed
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a small animal veterinary hospital or animal shelter medical facility
- Must have or be eligible to obtain a license to practice veterinary medicine in Oregon
- Must have or be eligible to obtain DEA certification for management of controlled substances utilized for patient care
- Experience with HQHVSN surgery, as well as other routine soft tissue surgeries
- Ability to perform sterilization surgeries on juveniles, cryptorchid and pregnant animals
- Ability to restrain and humanely handle animals, including difficult to handle and potentially dangerous animals
- A desire to manage and train surgery staff, maintain oversight of surgery protocols, and uphold standards of shelter best practices
Greenhill Humane Society is an equal opportunity employer. We consider all candidates of all races, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. GHS values diversity in our workforce.
How to Apply
For more information about this position, e-mail Dr. Gail Schroder at email@example.com.
Interested candidates should view the Veterinary Surgeon Job Description here https://www.green-hill.org/employment/ then apply by submitting a cover letter and resume to Sasha Elliott, Director of Operations via email: firstname.lastname@example.org