WAG’s S/N clinic is a fast-paced environment averaging 5,000 surgeries per year. We are seeking a dynamic, friendly and self-starting team member to join our community clinic (40 hours per week, Tuesday-Friday). WAG surgical staff has limited client contact and will continue to offer curbside service post-pandemic. If you are more of an “animal person” than a “people person,” and love the idea of permanent three-day weekends, then look no further!
Applicants must have a minimum of one-year experience as a veterinary assistant. HQHVSN clinic experience is a plus, but not required. Rate of pay based on experience.
Responsible for daily care of all surgical patients, assisting doctors and veterinary technicians with pre-, peri- and post-operative care of patients, general cleaning, and training others to utilize our patient care protocols.
Works closely with clinic veterinarians, clinic veterinary assistants, and other clinic staff
Essential Job Functions
- Knowledge and ability to intake and release patients, including delivering pre-operative instructions by phone in a competent and friendly manner
- Know basic veterinary medical concepts
- Communicate in effective and professional manner with public, trainees and all staff members
- Represent WAG in a professional and courteous manner at all times
- Follow all written and verbally communicated departmental standard operating procedures
- Responsible for preparing patients for surgery, observing all clinic procedures, to ensure sterility and safety of patients
- General duties in the operating room during surgery, assisting with movement of patients, recovery of patients and general flow
- Able to monitor anesthesia, with a clear understanding of abnormal conditions
- Ensure prompt and accurate paperwork procedures are followed each day
- Able to respond appropriately during an emergency, able to take directions from a veterinarian and/or veterinary technician, and maintain competency in CPR procedures
- Train veterinary assistants, new staff members, and trainees to utilize our patient care protocols
- Perform daily cleaning of kennels, and cages, following proper disease control protocol to ensure a sterile environment
- Keep veterinary technician promptly informed of animal behavior, health or concerns
- Stock all kennel/cleaning supplies as needed
- Stock areas and spot-clean kennels throughout the day
- Clean surgical laundry, clean and sonicate surgical instruments and prepare surgical packs as needed
- Clean, fold, and stock kennel laundry throughout the clinic
- Other duties as assigned
- All other duties as assigned
Education, Experience, and Skills
Must have a high school diploma
- Paid holidays: Tuesday-Friday Thanksgiving week; Independence Day; Christmas Eve through New Year, (minimum, scheduled yearly)
- 8 days front-loaded PTO at day 91
- Veterinary supplies, services and pet food at cost
Extensive COVID-19 precautions in place, including curbside service ONLY, masks and sanitization policies.
How to Apply
More information about WAG, and the surgical VA position, can be found on our website: wagwag.org/about/job-opportunities/
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No calls please.
Willamette Animal Guild is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status. If you need assistance or an accommodation during the application process because of a disability, it is available upon request. We are pleased to provide such assistance, and no applicant will be penalized as a result of the request.