Wisconsin Community Veterinary Center, a nonprofit clinic, is seeking a full or part-time veterinarian to join our team of veterinary professionals who provide quality, affordable, and accessible veterinary care to pets who would otherwise suffer without. WCVC is a collaborative, professional environment where your time and expertise will be valued. We encourage work/life balance and offer flexible schedules.
WCVC predominantly serves low-income families who cannot otherwise afford veterinary care for beloved pets. There are no after-hour emergencies or late-night shifts and no expectation to upsell products. Compensation and benefits are competitive.
Our goal is to decrease animal suffering, economic euthanasia, and medical surrenders to animal shelters by providing the opportunity to obtain affordable veterinary care for beloved pets.
Wisconsin Community Veterinary Center is a unique nonprofit clinic that meets a crucial need for pet owners who love their pets but cannot afford veterinary care. In filling this need, WCVC also serves as a resource for other community veterinary clinics, animal shelters, and social service agencies in Madison and throughout rural Wisconsin.
WCVC typically serves dogs, cats, and occasionally other small animals. Services provided include diagnosis and treatment of illnesses and injury (including surgical intervention when this is the best option), dental care, preventive medicine, high-volume spay/neuter (including community cats), and client education. We are fully equipped with x-ray, diagnostic and dental equipment as well as a surgical suite
Surgical Veterinarian’s responsibilities include:
The primary responsibility of the Surgical Veterinarian is to provide high-quality, high-volume spay/neuter surgery for dogs and cats as well as additional soft tissue and orthopedic surgeries.
• Examine animals to assess general physical condition and detect/determine the nature of diseases or injuries.
• Treat sick or injured animals by prescribing medication, setting bones, dressing wounds, or performing surgery.
• Prioritize traumatic injuries and serious illnesses to ensure that all animals receive time-sensitive care.
• Collect body tissue, feces, blood, urine, or other body fluids for examination and analysis.
• Inoculate animals against various diseases such as rabies or distemper.
• Cultivate positive relationships with clients and their animals through communication. Counsel clients about the conditions/deaths of their pets or about euthanasia decisions for their pets.
• Operate diagnostic equipment, such as radiographic or ultrasound equipment, and interpret the resulting images.
• Advise animal owners regarding sanitary measures, feeding, general care, medical conditions, or treatment options.
• Establish or conduct quarantine or testing procedures that prevent the spread of diseases to other animals or to humans and that comply with applicable government regulations.
• Humanely euthanize animals.
• Determine protocols for medical procedures.
• Maintain timely and accurate records.
• Train and oversee staff members, to include but not limited to veterinary externs and technicians, who handle or care for animals.
• Work with the clinic managers to ensure quality healthcare operations.
• Maintain up-to-date medical and professional knowledge and skills.
• DVM or VMD degree from an accredited university.
• Wisconsin veterinary license
Ideal Surgical Veterinary Team Member will bring some of these additional skills to the job:
• Understanding of and willingness to perform incremental care in order to provide affordable treatment for patients whose owners cannot otherwise afford care.
• Ability to accommodate varied work assignments and schedules.
• Ability to provide leadership and direction to employees and volunteers.
• Ability to problem solve and work with minimal supervision.
• Experience with high-volume spay/neuter and pediatric surgeries highly desirable or a willingness to learn these techniques.
• Experience performing dentistry on animals.
• Ability to work independently and to keep a neat and organized working environment.
• Ability to communicate skillfully and effectively with staff, volunteers, and clients in a professional, pleasant, respectful, courteous, and tactful manner at all times.
• Maturity, good judgment, and professional personal appearance.
How to Apply
Resumes can be emailed to email@example.com