The Animal Defense League of Texas (ADL) is San Antonio’s oldest and largest progressive, no-kill companion animal shelter. Under new leadership, our medical program has expanded its lifesaving services portfolio to include a medical foster program, expanded parvo treatment capacity, and FIV/FELV adoption program. In 2020, the ADL hospital underwent a major retooling initiative to leverage the most up-to-date sheltering best practices and has now grown to provide care for 6,500 pets annually! This position ensures sound and humane veterinary medical practices in accordance with the Texas Veterinary Board. This position is supported by a robust team of dedicated Surgery Techs along with a team of Vet. Techs proficient in the use of in-house Idexx diagnostic and digital X-ray equipment.
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Examine patients pre-op to approve for surgery
- Perform surgical sterilizations - 25 to 35 per shift
- Oversee post-op recovery measures to ensure the quality of patient care
- Perform other surgeries (primarily soft tissue, and dental) on an as-needed basis
- Stabilize and manages an infrequent variety of trauma cases
- Supervise sanitation practices within the surgery area to prevent the spread of disease
- Communicate successes and issues concerning patient and staff with the hospital manager
- ADL offers a competitive starting salary in the range of 85K to 105K per yr.
- Retention Bonus.
- $1,000 annual stipend to cover C.E. Certifications and licensing.
- Retirement plan with 4% company match.
- Comprehensive benefits including Blue Cross Blue Shield Medical & optional vision and dental.
- Phone allowance of $50.00. Payable monthly.
- ADL also offers a monthly stipend specific to offsetting student loan repayment.
*By working for ADL, a registered non-profit organization, the successful candidate will qualify for the federal government student loan forgiveness program
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine - graduate from a college or university accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association,
- Licensed or the ability to procure a license to practice veterinary medicine in the State of Texas.
- All applicants will be considered.
How to Apply
Email resume and cover letter to: Joel McLellan, Executive Director at
or visit our website: https://adltexas.org/about-us/employment-opportunities