The Humane Society of Greater Jupiter/Tequesta dba Furry Friends Adoption, Clinic & Ranch is seeking a Shelter Veterinarian (ability to be licensed in Florida) to join our award winning team. You must be able to operate within our no-kill shelter core values.
Your employment will include:
Most weekends and evenings off
Medical, dental & vision insurance
This is a full time job.
You will work closely with the Shelter Medicine Team to provide excellent medical care to the animals that enter our shelter. Collaboration with the Chief Veterinarian and Shelter Medicine team is essential to assess, create, maintain, improve and implement effective protocols for preventive care, treatment, population management, and operational processes. You will perform high-quality, high-volume surgical procedures and develop ongoing treatment plans. We will count on you to ensure compliance with all laws regarding the practice of veterinary medicine and animal welfare.
The primary function of this position is to provide medical care to the shelter animals in our care. Ancillary duties include occasional general practice veterinary medicine for private clients in our Clinic and occasionally representing the organization at public events.
Works closely with other veterinarians, veterinary technicians, animal caretakers, and organization’s administrative staff.
Provide general care of all Furry Friends owned animals (“FURFS”), including but not limited to"
- intake exams
- decisions on quarantine and isolation status
- assessment of overall health
- treatment of injuries or diseases (and when necessary referral to specialists)
- medical clearances for foster or adoption placement
- daily routine medical care
- in rare cases, humane euthanasia due to sustained poor quality of life
- Perform surgical sterilizations on shelter- and (on occasion) private-owned dogs and cats
- Perform non-sterilization surgical procedures when deemed appropriate. Refer out and/or oversee the scheduling of outside veterinary resources for procedures not available at Furry Friends. This responsibility is limited to scheduled hours as Furry Friends does not conduct after-hours emergency treatment at this time. The Surgical Veterinarian will decide what treatments or procedures are needed in coordination with other Managers as appropriate. Surgical duties include but are not limited to:
- mass removals
- other procedures as deemed necessary and appropriate in conjunction with the Furry Friends Chief Veterinarian & Clinic Administrator
- See that a high degree of veterinary professionalism is practiced at all times
- Create & implement protocols and ensure staff adheres to them
- Ensure the safety and sanitation of the surgical suite
- Communicate with Clinic private clients in a caring, effective, & professional manner
- Collaborate with Furry Friends leadership to continually uphold professional standards
- Support the fundraising and educational activities of Furry Friends, as appropriate
- Behave in a manner that upholds both personal and professional standards, as an ambassador of Furry Friends at all times
- Train any designated persons in aspects of patient care and efficient/safe clinic practices, maintaining a professional and friendly manner at all times
- Be available to travel and train as requested
- Be a leader among staff, displaying a positive attitude and acting as a motivating force for all staff members
- All other duties, as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES
1. Must be a licensed Veterinarian in the state of Florida or able to acquire state licensure quickly
2. Must maintain all current and correct licensure
3. Graduate of an accredited school of veterinary medicine or equivalent.
4. Enthusiasm for Shelter Veterinary Medicine is strongly desired
5. Must have a valid driver’s license
6. Must possess or have the ability to obtain DEA license
7. Working knowledge of Google Workspace, as well as Word, Excel, PowerPoint
8. Working knowledge of ShelterLuv preferred, or a comparable shelter management software. Working knowledge of Avimark preferred, or a comparable veterinary clinic management software. Must be comfortable learning and using new technology.
Works closely with other veterinarians, veterinary technicians, veterinary assistants, and organization’s administrative staff.
How to Apply
If you want to be part of a progressive, life-saving organization please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.