Purpose of Position: This position provides compassionate veterinary care to pets and their families who wouldn’t otherwise have access to care, supporting all services offered by the Community Veterinary Services department, including urgent care, spay/neuter in HQHVSN clinic, and vaccine clinics. Based at the Dumb Friends League’s Veterinary Hospital at CSU Spur, staff veterinarians provide many of our services “on-view” for visitors of the CSU Spur campus. Visitors can interact with the medical team, and hopefully inspire future veterinary professionals.
- Perform comprehensive patient examinations and develop diagnostic and/or treatment plan options using an incremental care approach for patients with urgent/sick care needs.
- Perform and interpret diagnostic studies including diagnostic imaging, bloodwork and in-house cytology.
- Perform surgical procedures including various soft tissue surgeries and limb amputations in an on-view setting.
- Perform comprehensive dentistry procedures, including surgical extractions, in an on-view setting.
- Provide euthanasia services.
- Safely perform high quality high volume spay/neuter surgeries for dogs and cats.
- Perform wellness evaluations on pets in the community during vaccine clinics, administer vaccines, and provide recommendations regarding ongoing care to pet owners.
- Effectively and compassionately communicate with owners of pets and the community.
- Manage and maintain accurate medical records using a cloud-based/digital practice management software system.
- Collaborate with veterinarians within the community to provide access to veterinary care to underserved clients and their pets.
- Provide support and clinical mentorship to externs and interns, including direct observation, training and assessment.
- Interact and communicate with general public to promote and discuss access to veterinary care using an incremental care approach, as we work in “on-view” areas of our Veterinary Hospital at CSU Spur.
- Collaborate with CSU educators to enhance visitor experiences.
- Contribute to and lead initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
- Participate in regularly scheduled doctor meetings and journal clubs.
- Cultivate a culture of collaboration, teamwork and learning within veterinary services and throughout the League.
- Work in collaboration with the Development and Communications teams to support fundraising efforts, grant requests and reports, and other campaigns, providing impact stories and data as requested.
- Participate in donor events, meetings, and tours.
- Serve as a veterinary ambassador with community partners, promoting the League’s mission, goals and strategic initiatives including Socially Conscious Sheltering and Animal Communities to veterinarians, vendors, the public, and other animal welfare related organizations.
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions. Additional definitions for competencies may be obtained from Human Resources
Organizational Key Competencies
- Integrity and Ethics
- Adapting to Change and Ambiguity
- Customer and Community Focus
- Emotional Intelligence
Position Key Competencies
- Analytical Thinking
- Critical Thinking
- Team Player
- Conflict Management
- Community Partnerships
- Strong Leadership
- Fiscal Responsibility
- Strategic Thinking
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
- Veterinary Interns
- Veterinary Externs
- This position requires travel to different work sites
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements
The Dumb Friends League’s Veterinary Hospital at CSU Spur provides an “on-view” experience for visitors to the CSU Spur campus. Staff joining the Community Veterinary Solutions team should expect that they will occasionally or regularly, depending on their work assignment, be working in an exam room, surgical suite or dentistry suite that is on-view through windows to a public audience.
Handle and restrain animals of various sizes, weights, and temperaments. Subject to animal bites or scratches. Work performed in high noise level areas. Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal dander, urine and feces. Exposure to radiation in association with performing radiology procedures. Physical efforts require constant bending, stooping, standing, climbing stairs, and walking. Repetitive motion associated with medical and surgical care provision for patients. Frequent lifting of animals and objects with reasonable accommodation.\
Shift Details: Temporary coverage needed for 10-hour shifts 4 days a week
Relief Benefits – Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits.
- 401(k) with matching
Compensation: $52.88 - $60.00 /hour (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity). Veterinarians in a relief employment status also receive a shift differential of $20.00 per hour.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- High emotional intelligence
- Ability to effectively communicate in writing
- Effective time management skills with the ability to triage cases and workload
- Ability to work well within a fast-paced environment
- High attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Doctoral degree in veterinary medicine
- Experience practicing veterinary medicine with owned companion animals.
- Eligible to obtain a Colorado Veterinary License.
- Experience performing comprehensive dentistry, including surgical extractions
- Experience performing fundamental ultrasonography
- Experience performing high quality, high volume spay/neuter procedures
How to Apply
Click the link below to apply!