Are you looking for a rewarding leadership position in a diverse, vibrant, affordable city, where creativity and a culture of continuous improvement drives organizational culture? PAWS is seeking a Medical Director to lead our delivery of veterinary services, and to play an instrumental role in achieving our ultimate goal of making Philadelphia a no-kill city. As the city’s largest rescue partner and provider of affordable basic veterinary care for community pets, our passionate team works every day to end pet homelessness and to provide top-quality care to dogs and cats with medical and surgical needs who would otherwise not have a chance.
The Medical Director has both clinical responsibilities (approximately 60%) and administrative responsibilities (approximately 40%). Clinical practice includes: performing HQHVSN surgeries and additional specialty surgeries as needed, conducting routine wellness and sick visits for pets whose owners rely on PAWS for affordable care, performing examinations and determining treatment plans for our in-house and foster population of rescued animals, and consulting and collaborating with specialty veterinary partners on special cases. Administrative responsibilities include: upholding and updating PAWS’ current medical procedures and protocols in keeping with industry best practices; establishing new protocols as needed; providing insight and oversight for in-house and foster animals with complex medical or surgical needs; and, leading and mentoring a cohesive and productive medical staff in partnership with the Director of Operations.
The Medical Director acts as a liaison among multiple departments within the organization to ensure optimal treatment and outcomes for animals who come into PAWS’ care. Therefore, the successful applicant must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be able to work well with staff with widely varying levels of medical knowledge. The ability to think practically about medical care, balancing animal welfare and “gold standard” practices with cost and reasonable outcomes, is essential.
Benefits of PAWS employment:
- Health, dental, and prescription insurance, as well as access to additional voluntary benefits (long- and short-term disability, life, and accident insurance).
- Major holidays off (the shelter is closed) and paid time off (PTO).
- Yearly Continuing Education allowance, and up to four days off for conferences/CE (does not count against PTO).
- Pennsylvania bi-annual license renewal fees.
- DEA license renewal fees.
- Free and heavily discounted clinic services, lab work and medications for your personal pets.
- Moving stipend considered for outstanding out-of-state applicants.
- Competitive salary.
Educational and Licensure Requirements:
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree or equivalent from an accredited university with no history of complaints or disciplinary action required.
- Valid Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Veterinary license, or ability to obtain one, with no history of complaints or disciplinary action.
- Valid DEA license, or ability to obtain one, with no history of complaints or disciplinary action.
- Experience with HQHVSN surgery, as well as other routine soft tissue surgeries.
- Clinical experience with health conditions common in shelter populations and owned pets.
- Experience in a fast-paced shelter or community medicine setting.
- A self-starter who is well organized, innovative, flexible, and passionate about PAWS’ goals and objectives.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills with a strong attention to detail.
- The ideal candidate is personable, outgoing, patient, professional, empathetic, mature, and able to get along well with a culturally diverse community.
- Strong sense of initiative and ability to problem-solve, identifying tasks that need to be accomplished and prioritizing appropriately, and working independently with minimal supervision and direction.
- Comfort and experience with Google and Microsoft applications. PAWS uses a variety of web-based software that veterinarians must be comfortable learning to use on a daily basis for managing client care.
How to Apply
For a full job description, or more information, please email Natalie Smith, Director of Operations, at email@example.com.