ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE JOB:
- Plan and oversee adoption events, special events and projects.
- Research and identify new events that would be beneficial for adoptions, fundraising and promoting the mission of APL.
- Maintain an event calendar in order to communicate internally and externally.
- Manage all event set up and breakdown.
- Secure vendors for events as needed.
- Conduct site research, inspections, and recommend locations to secure venues for events.
- Negotiate rates and contract terms with vendors/locations to ensure cost savings. Seeks pro bono services and materials from new and existing businesses whenever possible.
- Review contracts to confirm that terms and conditions are acceptable
- Make sure all applicable licenses and permits are obtained for any event or fundraising opportunity
- Represent organization in the media and at community events, seeking advantageous partnerships with community businesses, vendors and individuals.
- Works with media outlets for interviews, Pet of the Week Videos, and other media appearances as required.
- Prepares and sends all media releases for events.
- Supervise additional off-site staff, volunteers and animals as well as adoption process activity.
- Propose event budgets for review and approval by the Executive Director. Continually monitor revenue and expenses in relation to the budget and analyze financial outcomes of all events.
- Develop and maintain event timelines
- Provide profit and loss reports for each fundraising event to help determine what changes, if any, need to be made to maximize profitability
- Continuously seek to develop new projects and fundraising concepts to ensure long-term and immediate fundraising goals for the organization.
- Cooperate with other departments and programs within the organization
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partner with the management team to prepare, coordinate and/or distribute marketing materials, flyers, signage, social media and advertising.
- Prepare timely event reports, quarterly board reports and a detailed annual report.
- Attend management meetings as required.
- Participate and oversee the fundraising and events committee.
- Provide event, story and social media support.
- Responsible for maintaining all event supplies including marketing and promotional materials, as well as animal care supplies.
- Event coordinator is responsible for APL vehicles and transport logistics as they pertain to events. Set up and unload vehicles as needed.
- Partner with the management team to identify staff, volunteers and animals to schedule for events.
- Perform work according to established methods specified in the Standard Operating Procedures Manual, and the Personnel Policy Handbook.
- Perform needed cleaning and maintenance of all the equipment and tools used in the job assignments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge and skill in marketing and advertising strategies, community events, benefits and functions, special event planning and creative writing.
- Fundraising knowledge, including basic fundraising principles and techniques, fundraising regulations, laws and licensing requirements.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with media, community agencies and businesses.
- Ability to develop fundraising strategies and stay abreast of new developments in the business community, animals welfare movement and philanthropic sector.
- Knowledge of supervisor and training techniques for volunteers, motivation and decision-making techniques. Skill in teaching and mediating disputes and solving problems.
- Compassionate communicator who is able to work independently as well as within a team who is skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships across different levels of the organization and externally. Must work well with the public, including children, persons of varied racial, ethnic, cultural, socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual preference, and with individuals who are differently-abled.
- Requires a high level of attention to detail.
- Requires analyzing information and using logic to address and set priorities to secure solutions for work-related issues and problems.
- Requires being honest and ethical, reliable, responsible and dependable.
- Aptitude for detailed planning and working with budgets.
- Excellent written oral communication and management skills.
- Comfortable with technology, including use of social media, mobile devices and other relevant media and programs.
- Self-motivated, outgoing, pleasant, diplomatic, energetic, highly creative, flexible and open to new ideas.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, reach, twist, and lift from the ground up
- Must be able to lift 40 pounds without assistance
- Must be able to work in a loud environment
- Must be able to go up and down stairs
- Must be able to talk clearly and communicate well to the public, staff and volunteers
- Must have basic knowledge of animal handling and animal behaviors
- Must have no allergies to animals
- Must be able to work in a high stress environment
Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Must have a valid drivers license.
Previous experience in event management and/or fundraising would be preferred. Knowledge and experience of handling animals is a plus. On the job training is provided.
How to Apply
Please send a resume a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.