At the Virginia Beach SPCA (VBSPCA) our mission is to create a more humane and responsible community by eliminating animal suffering while increasing human compassion. Our Vision is to connect people and pets. As a trusted resource for our community, we create lasting adoptions, provide quality veterinary care, and inspire compassionate action through education and awareness. We are innovative, we are passionate, and we are committed. In partnership with our community, we end animal homelessness.
Under the direction of the CEO, the Director of Shelter Operations is responsible for the day-to-day management of the VBSPCA Shelter. This includes oversight of Shelter staff to ensure maintenance of sanitary and humane conditions for all animals; monitoring the health (mental and physical) and progress of all animals; confirming all available space is effectively utilized; planning and implementation of humane action plans for all animals; and representing the VBSPCA in public as needed in support of the VBSPCA’s mission.
- Directly supervises the work of the Senior Manager of Receiving and Isolation; Cattery Manager, Kennel Manager, Customer Service and Sales Manager, Shelter Administration Manager including:
- Ensures all Shelter Technicians and Counselors are being appropriately supervised and following VBSPCA SOPs.
- As a member of the Executive Team, provides creation and oversight of training and curriculum inclusive of the needs of the Shelter staff.
- Ensure all incoming animals (canines, felines, small animals) in the care of the VBSPCA are afforded the 5 Freedoms
- Freedom from hunger and thirst
- Freedom from discomfort
- Freedom from pain, injury, and/or disease
- Freedom to express normal behavior
- Freedom from fear and distress
- Responsible for oversight of daily rounds by Managers to monitor animal health, collect animal census, review space allocation, and ensure plans for specific animal needs are being followed.
- With the support of the Clinic, provides oversight of the medical care and response to treatment of all animals.
- In conjunction with the Medical Director, Senior Director of Receiving, and assigned staff, evaluates and implements medical treatments and diagnostics.
- Monitors and assists Animal Outreach Manager and Senior Manager of Receiving and Isolation in facilitating transfers from other facilities.
- Oversees the accuracy, timeliness and consistency of behavioral assessments and creates action plans with staff for animal enrichment.
- Oversees the Shelter Administration Manager in creation and quality control of curriculum used for training throughout the Shelter and in support of contracted training.
- Oversees counseling conducted by shelter staff for receiving and surrenders in regards to medical and behavioral relinquishments.
- Oversees the execution by Shelter Administration Manager of the Shelter staff’s monthly work schedule, timecards, and time away requests.
- Assists community with animal cruelty or neglect complaints; providing support with legal statements or appearances in court on behalf of the VBSPCA, when necessary.
- Partners with Human Resources Manager and all department managers to ensure all Volunteers and Court Appointed Volunteers are receiving appropriate supervision and are operating under VBSPCA guidelines when volunteering in animal areas.
- Reviews and presents documents and participates in quarterly Asilomar and joint Task Force meetings.
- Serves on the Asilomar Committee in making decisions about animal euthanasia and ongoing treatments.
- In conjunction with the Medical Director, ensures and/or administers proper medical technique and humane treatment of all animals being euthanized.
- Continually reviews and/or updates SOPs for Shelter operations with Shelter Administration Manager; working with coordinators to create new ones as needed.
- Performs other tasks needed for the well-being of the animals in the care of the VBSPCA and/or as directed by the CEO.
Executive and Organizational Leadership
- Participate in executive and board meetings/discussions/decisions
- Participate in strategic visioning and management
- Ensure that organizational processes are best practice, effective, and aligned with community needs
- Oversee internal policies, processes, and procedures and initiate changes as needed to maintain and enhance the organizational efficiency and effectiveness.
- Support board leadership in maintaining the focus, structure, and direction by providing reports in a timely manner
- Participate in discussions regarding facilities, structural use, and structural improvements
Building Effective Teams
Dealing with Paradox
Ethics and Values
Managing Vision and Purpose
Senior Manager of Receiving and Isolation
Shelter Administration Manager
Customer Service and Adoption Manager
Manager of Kennel Operations
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- Five years of professional experience working with animals in a kennel, shelter, or veterinary hospital.
- Three years of supervisory management experience.
- Knowledge of domestic animals including breeds, behavior, appropriate care and housing, common health problems, disease symptoms and handling techniques is required.
- Excellent communications, public relations, and written skills.
- Ability to communicate clearly VBSPCA’s mission and humane care and treatment of animals to the public and staff.
- Intermediate level computer skills using standard Microsoft Office programs such as Word and Excel as well as Google applications required.
- Ability to learn computer applications in a business setting
- Ability to function well as a team member.
- Ability to build and lead a team.
- Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and week-ends
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and public
- Ability to restrain animals in a safe and appropriate manner
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to tolerate offensive animal odors
- Ability to tolerate exposure to strong cleaning chemicals
- Ability to comfortably interact with domestic animals and wildlife
- Ability to move throughout the building as needed to meet the requirements of the job
How to Apply
The Virginia Beach SPCA is committed to recruiting, hiring and employing a diverse and inclusive team. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate against candidates or employees based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, pregnancy, disability, military status, veteran status, genetic history or any other protected classification.
For more information about the VBSPCA and to apply online please visit https://vbspca.com/employment/