*Position Title*: Director of Finance (CFO, Chief Fetch Officer)
*Employment Status*: Exempt, full-time employee
*Reports to*: Executive Director
Organization: Founded in 1998, SPCA of Northern Nevada (SPCA-NN) connects people and homeless pets to bring joy, love, and compassion to our community and beyond. We also support pets and their people with quality adoptions, humane education programs, affordable spay/neuter, vaccinations, microchipping, and financial assistance programs. A significant part of our annual budget comes from our Thrift Store proceeds.
SPCA-NN community awards: Voted Best Nonprofit Group in Northern Nevada 2018 - Reno News & Review, Voted Nonprofit of the Year 2017 by the Reno-Sparks-Northern Nevada Chamber, Best Places to Work Finalist (NNHRA) 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020! For more information, please visit spcanevada.org.
Position: The Director of Finance is results-driven by nature; creating budgets, analyzing financial statements, and strategically interpreting the data. This position serves as an active partner to the Executive Director (ED) and should bring a forward-looking and proactive stance to managing the organization's finances.
SPCA-NN is looking for a mission-oriented, strategic leader with proven, successful experience as a Director of Finance in a fast-paced nonprofit organization.
This position is an exciting opportunity for an individual with a strong nonprofit finance operations background to help strengthen and expand a high impact, local nonprofit dedicated to saving and improving the lives of pets and people!
Reporting to the ED, the Director of Finance will be responsible for overseeing finance, administration, business systems planning and analysis, and improving financial efficiencies for our Adoption Center and Thrift Store. Additionally, they will be responsible for overseeing and managing the outsourced vendors for human resources and information technology.
Internally, the Director of Finance will also serve as a thought partner to the ED and as a critical member of a small leadership team responsible for strategic decision making.
All SPCA-NN positions have a fun title, and this position is the CFO (Chief Fetch Officer)!
· Oversee and lead annual budgeting process in conjunction with the ED and board of directors; monitor progress and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status.
· Oversee and manage all financial activities, including organizational cash flow and forecasting, monthly accounting processes, bookkeeping, payroll management, invoicing, financial tracking of all (restricted and unrestricted) grants, and thrift store retail operations.
· Create monthly financial reports, monthly departmental budget review with department managers, manage risk, implement policies, and improve financial processes for both adoption center and thrift store retail financial operations via written protocols.
· Directly manage one full-time accounting/executive assistant employee.
· Ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
· Coordinate and lead the annual audit process; liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors.
· Manage accounting for multiple software programs, including without limitation QuickBooks and Excel. Additional program software that we currently use are: Clinic HQ (with MX Merchant as the payment processor), AdoPets virtual adoptions (with Stripe as the payment processor), online donations via Give app (with AuthorizeNet as the payment processor).
· Manage relationship with external HR vendor, including recruitment and hiring; benefits administration and oversight; new employee onboarding, payroll. Utilize our executive assistant to support these functions.
· Manage further development of SPCA-NN’s human resources capacity as the organization grows, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, etc.
· Oversee the outsourced IT vendor to ensure ongoing maintenance and quality of IT systems and infrastructure, and to monitor performance against contract.
· Manage and track organizational need for computer hardware and software, procuring new equipment from IT vendor as necessary.
· Collaborate with the Director of Development to ensure monthly accuracy between Quickbooks and donor management software.
· Oversee risk management, business insurance coverage and renewals; service contracts (calendar dates, etc); and lease obligations. Make recommendations to and seek approval from ED.
· Ensure ongoing compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
Strategy and Grants
· Provide financial input for all strategic planning processes.
· Partner with ED and leadership team to strategize funding needs for program sustainability and expansion, provide financial reports for grant applications, grant reports, periodic strategy meetings with ED and board of directors.
· Oversee general admin office management functions to ensure effective, high-quality work environment and efficiency.
· Lead and encourage positive, supportive work culture.
· A bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related major is required and an M.B.A. in finance is preferred.
· 5 years accounting/finance experience in a nonprofit of similar size and complexity; 3 years minimum at the director level is required.
· SPCA-NN seeks a Director of Finance who has a proven, successful track record in nonprofit organizational budgeting and financial management.
· We also seek an effective, positive leader who can motivate, inspire, and support a passionate, diverse team. A positive sense of humor, joy, and love of pets and laughter is a must!
· Commitment to SPCA-NN mission to save and improve the lives of pets and their people by providing affordable community services and quality adoptions.
· Commitment to a positive, supportive work culture and thrives off collaboration and teamwork.
· Strong project management skills.
· Attention to detail. This skill of patient, relentless attention to detail is absolutely critical for this position, which requires the passion to complete work with the highest level of accuracy and efficiency.
· Action oriented. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Strong work ethic, honesty, and high integrity.
· Ability to synthesize data, make decisions, and communicate well verbally and in writing. Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, executing multiple tasks, and achieving objectives.
· Strategic vision. Ability to think strategically and connect strong execution to broader strategic priorities and objectives.
· Leadership. Exceptional capacity for managing and leading people from diverse backgrounds. Committed to investing in and developing staff and positioning them to succeed. Self-directed, positive, energetic, compassionate, and collaborative. Adherence to Brene Brown is strongly preferred.
· The Director of Finance position is an outstanding opportunity to join a positive, innovative, energetic, supportive, fun, mission-driven organization.
· SPCA-NN offers excellent benefits that include health, dental and vision insurance, 11 paid holidays, pet bereavement, PTO, and sick time. Most of all we provide a positive working environment where you will be respected and appreciated. We have an amazing team!
· This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. In addition, it does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
· The SPCA of Northern Nevada is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. In accordance with applicable law, the SPCA prohibits harassment or discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital or domestic partnership status, status, age (40 years and above), national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, medical condition, or any other consideration protected by federal, state or local laws. All such harassment or discrimination is strictly prohibited.
Our Adoption Center is located at 4950 Spectrum Blvd in Reno, Nevada. Our Thrift Store is located at 75 E. Moana Lane in Reno, Nevada. For more information, please visit our website.
Pay $26.00 - $35.00 per hour
Job type Full-time
Schedule 8 hour shift Monday to Friday
Benefits| Health insurance, Paid time off, Medical/Dental/Vision/Life insurance, Flexible schedule, Employee discount, Professional development assistance, Employee assistance program, Other
- 5 years accounting
- 3 years nonprofit accounting; preferably management/finance director level
How to Apply
How To Apply If this sounds like the career for you, please provide current resume/CV and a thoughtful, authentic cover letter. In your cover letter, please concisely describe why you would be the ideal candidate. Please email both and identify the job title in the title of your email: email@example.com.
VERY IMPORTANT – Applicants without a cover letter and resume will not be considered.