What a typical day would include:
The Community Programs Assistant works closely with community members in targeted areas in Chicago to share information and resources that aim to increase the wellness of community cats and empower caretakers to make well-informed decisions for their cat colony. They engage with clients via site visits, calls, or emails and allocate resources which include on-site Trap-Neuter-Return, dropping off cat food and community cat shelters, and cat colony maintenance counseling. Additionally, they assist with maintaining our information database and Google Suite to update site, client, and patient profiles. Performs other duties or special projects as requested.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Participates in TNR internal projects including hoarding cases.
- Monitors and responds to TNR and CAW inquiries via email and phone calls.
- Fosters relationships with registered Feral Cat Colony Caretakers to ensure they understand and act in accordance with the responsibilities of colony caretakers as found in the Code of Ordinances for Cook County (“Managed Care of Feral Cats”).
- Trains volunteers to assist in all aspects of the program including trapping and colony management, administrative support, and field support.
- Transports cats to and from facility for surgery, exams, or transfer.
- Maintains electronic records of colonies, cats, and placements.
- Participates in community engagement efforts including canvassing, specialized training for caretakers and volunteers (both onsite and in the field), and community building workshops.
- Works with community shelter partners to place cats in need.
- Identifies and prepares new colony relocation sites.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
- High School degree or equivalent required.
- Computer skills required: Microsoft Office
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Spanish Speaking required.
- Working knowledge of animal welfare issues preferred.
- Excellent communication and social skills: ability to successfully communicate and work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Attendance & Dependability - Is consistently at work and on time. Follows instructions and responds to management direction. Provides consistent, timely, high-quality work. Follows through on commitments. Uses time efficiently. Takes responsibility for own actions.
- Customer Service - Treats customers (internal and external) with respect and courtesy. Shows interest in, anticipates, and responds timely to customer needs and concerns. Goes beyond basic service expectations to help customers. Responds appropriately to and resolves difficult and emotional situations. Seeks ways to improve service delivery.
- Diversity - Enthusiastically works with all employees, regardless of race, gender, culture, and age. Values contributions of people from diverse backgrounds. Demonstrates respect for opinions and ideas of others. Shows awareness of and sensitivity to cultural and individual values.
- Ethics - Respects and maintains confidentiality. Tells truth and is honest in all dealings. Avoids situations and actions considered inappropriate or which present a conflict of interest. Upholds organizational values. Does not misrepresent self or use position or authority for personal gain.
- Teamwork - Listens and responds constructively to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Provides assistance to others when they need it. Shares expertise. Acknowledges others' effort and contribution. Puts success of team above own interests. Creates a positive work environment.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Frequently required to stand.
- Frequently required to walk.
- Occasionally required to sit.
- Frequently required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crawl.
- Continual exposure to outside weather conditions.
- Must occasionally lift and /or move up to 40 pounds.
- Additional remarks regarding work environment: Frequent exposure to potentially harsh outdoor environments including areas infested with rats or dirty conditions.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Tree House Humane Society is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. Tree House Humane Society does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individuals race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local or federal laws. Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. Tree House Humane Society is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
How to Apply
Please include a cover letter with your application.