SAFE Haven is a managed admissions shelter in Raleigh, NC. With intake of 1000 cats and kittens each year, the shelter is committed to adopter education through its education, enrichment, and intake diversion initiatives. SAFE Care recently doubled its floor space and anticipates performing 30-40 surgeries on cats and dogs each day from the public, from rescue partners, and from the cat colony caregivers who avail themselves of our low-cost, high quality services every year.
The organization is seeking that special candidate with a passion for providing excellent care to the most endangered and disenfranchised animals in our area. If you are a veterinarian with a calling and a heart for non-profit shelter medicine and for educating and mentoring adopters, volunteers, and constituents, you can make a difference at SAFE Haven and SAFE Care.
- Examine animals pre-op to determine their appropriateness for surgery.
- Perform surgical sterilizations – between 20 and 40 per day.
- Examine animals post-op as necessary to ensure appropriate healing.
- Inoculate animals and provide recommendations for follow-up care.
- Supervise veterinary technicians, surgical assistants, and volunteers.
- Supervise cleaning protocols for prevention of infectious/zoonotic diseases.
- Remain current on safe and efficacious medical protocol regarding anesthesia and surgery through continuing education.
- Conduct intake exams on shelter cats.
- Provide supportive, expert care to fostered and hospice cats.
- Use current shelter medicine protocols and principles to provide exemplary individual and population care to shelter cats.
- Provide quality service to clients, volunteers, and staff recognizing their individual contributions to the success of the clinic and shelter.
- Contribute to the educational and mentoring initiatives of the organization.
Training provided if you are not accustomed to HQHVSN protocols; SAFE Care is a member of the NSNRT network of clinics and has access to materials and experts in protocols that focus on safety and prioritize the patient, not the process.
The clinic operates on a four-day surgical schedule, and veterinarians will average seven to eight hours each day. We offer paid time off, holidays, insurance stipends, continuing education reimbursement, malpractice insurance, and licensing fees (including DEA). Salary is commensurate with experience. Signing bonuses and relocation assistance are available. Programs are also available for student loan forgiveness.
This is a full-time position; however, please inquire about relief or part-time veterinarian positions too.
How to Apply
Send your resume/CV to email@example.com. Include any salary requirements.