Important - Please read
The job postings provided on this webpage are for informational purposes only, and the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) does not confirm the accuracy or completeness of any job listing or other information submitted by any third party to this site. The ASPCA is not acting as an employment agent by providing this information nor is the ASPCA an employer with respect to any posting unless otherwise specifically stated in the posting. The ASPCA assumes no responsibility, and disclaims all liability for the content, accuracy, completeness, legality, reliability or availability of any job listing. The ASPCA is not responsible for any employment decisions, for whatever reason, made by any employer posting jobs on this webpage other than decisions related to job postings for positions with the ASPCA. Any rights or claims any person may have under any applicable law (e.g., employment, equal employment, antidiscrimination, Fair Credit Reporting Act, etc.) may only be asserted against the employer and not the ASPCA.
Purpose of Position: Serve as the League’s lead medical and surgical staff member.Responsibilities
- Develop, implement, and monitor medical programs that improve the standard of animal and veterinary care.
- Collaborate with the veterinary services manager to ensure the League’s operations are conducted using appropriate and up-to-date medical practices.
- Supervise, coach and mentor staff Veterinarians and Veterinary interns, specifically to their provision of veterinary medicine.
- Work in conjunction with the veterinary services manager to supervise veterinarians and veterinary interns regarding core values outside of medicine and surgery.
- Create training programs for staff Veterinarians and Veterinary interns.
- Maintain a culture of collaboration and teamwork among the entire Veterinary Services team.
- Work with other departments to effectively and efficiently coordinate care and quarantine of infectious disease animals.
- Serve as a liaison promoting the League’s philosophy and goals to veterinarians, vendors, the public, and other animal welfare related organizations.
- Perform surgical procedures on a daily basis including high quality, high volume spay/neuter, dentistry, and various soft tissue and orthopedic procedures.
- Perform veterinary medical functions including examination and treatment of shelter animals. Perform necropsies as needed.
- Participate in euthanasia decision making. Certify staff to perform euthanasia procedures. Collaborate with veterinary services manager on euthanasia training and SOP development.
- Work with cruelty investigations staff for evaluation, documentation and testimony about the condition of animals involved in investigation cases.
- Consult and provide assistance to patrons and external veterinarians regarding animals at or adopted from the League.
- Develop SOPs and ensure they are updated and practiced with staff and volunteers.
- Work with the veterinary services manager to understand and implement the annual budget.
- Participate in strategic initiatives as appropriate
- Recruit, hire, develop, coach and counsel veterinarians and assist in the process for support staff.
- Monitor and evaluate departmental/area processes and procedures alongside the veterinary services manager to maximize efficient uses of resources.
- Participate in inter-departmental meetings and discussions to support and develop League initiatives, as needed.
How to Apply
Post Date: Monday, December 30, 2019