Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Applies policies and procedures to provide for the daily needs of all animals
- Ensures kennels are clean/disinfected and animals are well cared for
- Serves as a point of contact for volunteers; serves as liaison for volunteers and staff
- Explains policies and procedures to volunteers and staff
- Manages internal and external conflict. Works with Shelter Manager to resolve conflicts and promotes open communication between co-workers and management.
- Performs all Animal Care job duties as needed.
- Schedules staff for each work area to ensure efficient workflow.
- Provides floor supervision, giving guidance, feedback and/or additional training.
- Ensures sections’ checklists are reviewed for completion and follow up with staff if not completed.
- Provides coaching for minor disciplinary actions and documents and reports the feedback to the Shelter Manager and HR Manager.
- Assists in keeping all training manuals, checklist and tests up to date.
- Solicits employee input and, if appropriate, utilizes information.
- Assists Shelter Manager is managing AC interns and/or students.
- Assists with payroll.
- Maintains and submits first reports of injuries (FROI) and injury follow-up reports.
- Schedules interviews, conducts interviews, makes hiring decisions and starts the offer process with HR.
- Assists with performance staff evaluations.
- Assists Shelter Manager with the Due Out list, Euthanasia list and other reports as required.
Is visible to staff, communicates with Shelter Manager or if appropriate Vice President / President on significant developments within the department. Attends necessary meetings. Communicates pertinent information to staff, managers and directors and ensures team leader is communicating effectively with line staff. Communicates and problem solves with managers. Organizational Development
Ensures that policies and procedures are being followed. Develops new ideas with staff. Develops and follows time lines for annual plans and projects and is accountable for staff’s decisions and actions. Supports management and discusses differences privately.
Maintains control of budgets including approving invoices and preparing financial and / or statistical reports as needed.
Utilizes performance-based management when counseling and evaluating staff and sets measurable goals for employee growth. Submits evaluations on time and encourages continuing education for staff as it relates to organizational needs. Recognizes good performance and counsels staff to correct problems.
Is flexible with scheduling and is available when away from the facility as needed to meet the needs of the organization.
Commitment to the mission, values, goals and success of HSPPR. Current driver’s license and clean driving record required. Perform all other duties as assigned.
This position is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day operations of the Animal Care Department. Supervisory responsibilities are a core function of the position.
How to Apply
apply online: https://jobs.hsppr.org/jobs