DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES SUMMARY
- Perform maintenance and custodial duties on kennels and cattery at the animal care facility to insure a clean and safe environment for animals, general public and employees.
- Feeds, waters and cares for animals.
- Cleans and disinfects cages, inside and outside runs and cattery using appropriate chemical agents per Animal Care Services policy and procedures.
- Does daily laundry, folds, separates, and distributes laundry to areas for storing or bedding in the kennels.
- Exercise and socialize with animals on a regular basis.
- May bathe, clean and groom animals as needed.
- Performs kennel and office maintenance and custodial functions as needed: cleaning animal services facility, maintain inventory, and stocking supplies.
- Provides office and customer service assistance when needed: answer phones, answer questions for the public, helps with paperwork, and escorts the public through kennels for viewing animals for adoption or claiming lost pets.
- May assist animal care officers/technicians and front office with handling animals arriving and leaving the facility.
- Perform other job-related duties as required or assigned.
* The above information on this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required of all employees assigned to this job.
- High School diploma or GED. Experience working with animals is preferred.
The offer of this Bernalillo County position requires compliance with the following:
- Employee must successfully complete the post-offer employment medical examination and background investigation.
- Employee must comply with the safety guidelines of the County.
- Employee must complete required FEMA training(s) as assigned to position.
- Duties are performed primarily indoors in a temperature-controlled environment.
- Worker is exposed to natural weather conditions while performing outdoor duties.
- Indoor duties are performed in a facility setting with cement, carpeted or tiled floors.
- Outdoor duties are performed on surfaces which may be even or uneven, wet, or dry. Stairs may be required in performing indoor or outdoor duties.
- Outdoor duties may be performed on natural ground, asphalt, concrete, snow, ice, or mud.
- Worker may be exposed to animals, aggressive animals, animal bites, disease, odors, animal dander, animal byproducts and chemicals.
- Worker performs duties alone or as part of a select team.
- Worker will be in an environment which may have a high level of noise, animal traffic and activity throughout the day.
- Worker may be required to be on-call as necessary to include evenings, weekends and holidays.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS AND MATERIALS
- Equipment used in performing duties includes computer, multi-line telephone, two-way radio, facsimile (fax) machine, photocopy machine, and computer printer.
- Handles a variety of forms and paperwork, writing utensils, and other basic office supplies while performing duties.
- May use a variety of equipment including but not limited to a net, rope, leash, snare, squeeze cage, halters, tranquilizing equipment, ladders, horse trailer, and camera in the performance duties.
Equal Opportunity Employer
County of Bernalillo is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Use the link below to apply: