- Answer patron inquiries and questions regarding animal behavior and provide information resources to address concerns
- Provide individualized hands-on behavioral training for shelter patrons
- Conduct animal behavior assessment, and perform hands-on delivery of animal behavior programs
- Record assessment and program related information and perform data entry to update animal records
- Participate in the implementation of behavior programs, including documentation and program evaluation
- Supports positive reinforcement as the primary training method employed by Dumb Friends League
- Contribute to initiatives to improve processes and procedures
- Perform euthanasia and related tasks
- Schedule and direct department volunteers
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional, and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions. Organizational competencies apply to all jobs at the League; position competencies are specific to this position.
Organizational Competencies – Accountability, flexibility, leadership, teamwork, attention to detail, initiative, managing resources, technical expertise, decision making, integrity, results oriented, time management.
Position Competencies – Analytical thinking, conflict management, innovation.
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements
Handle and restrain animals of various sizes, weights, and temperaments. Subject to animal bites or scratches. Work performed in high noise level areas. Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal dander, and feces. Physical efforts require constant bending, stooping, standing, climbing stairs, and walking. Frequent lifting of animals and objects with reasonable accommodation.
Schedule: Four, 10-hour shifts Full Time Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO), Holiday Pay, 401(k) with matching, Sabbatical program, relocation assistance, and more! Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits
Compensation: Starts at $20.00 - $20.90 per hour (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity)
- Education: High School or equivalent
- Experience: Prior work with animals in a professional environment
- Bilingual (fluent in both English and Spanish)
- Bachelor’s degree in animal science or related field
- Experience working in a zoological facility or shelter
- History of creating animal behavior protocols
- Experience working professionally with cats and knowledge of cat behavior
- Certification in dog training and behavior counseling, or active enrollment in a certification program
- Professional and educational expertise in animal learning theory, scientific behavior modification strategies, and positive based, force-free animal training including strong clicker training skills
- Excellent organizational skills with high level of attention to detail
- Proficient verbal and written communication and customer service skills
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- General knowledge of animal behavior
- Ability to initiate and accomplish multiple tasks, and maintain flexibility in a dynamic work environment
- Committed to maintaining the integrity of DFL’s adoption program and the mission of the Dumb Friends League
How to Apply
Apply online today using the link below!