This RFP is a new opportunity to leverage the creative energy and collective idea development that has been a hallmark of The Right Horse Initiative in developing effective strategies to increase adoption.
The Right Horse Initiative Adoption Partners and organizations actively participating in The Right Horse Initiative’s Warm-Up Ring are invited to submit a proposal for consideration. Grants for up to $30,000 will be awarded to build an innovative system or program to help significantly more horses find adoptive homes.
Proposals Should Focus On
- engaging new adopter audiences
- and/or building programming that elevates a specific horse population
- and/or collaborations with other The Right Horse partners and/or local equine industry professionals
Additional consideration will be given to proposals with the potential to be easily scaled-up or replicated.
Finalists will be selected based on the ASPCA’s judgment regarding a proposal’s potential for increasing adoptions. (Please see the information below describing the information necessary for a strong proposal).
This grant opportunity is not intended for capital improvements or continued funding of an existing program. It is intended for ideas that have the potential not only to help horses currently in your care but also those who follow. Collaboration with other The Right Horse partners and your local equine industry professionals is encouraged.
Finalists will be required to attend the 2021 Right Horse Summit in Denver on September 15-16th, where they will be asked to present a public presentation to a panel of judges (including a panel question period taking place before a live audience). Grant recipients will be selected based on the potential of their proposal to increase adoptions and the quality of their presentation. Presentations are intended to spark additional conversations and innovations among the attendees. Travel stipends will be available to help defray costs to finalists. Register for the Summit. Information about how to apply for a travel stipend will be included in your registration confirmation email.
Finalists will have the opportunity to meet with an ASPCA team to help refine and polish their presentations.
As finalists will not be announced until just a few weeks before the Summit, only those planning to attend the Summit should submit a proposal.
Up to three grants for up to $30,000 each
The Right Horse Partners and those who are actively advancing through the Warm-Up Ring
Strong Proposals Will
- Clearly identify how the program or project will help more horses by increasing adoptions
- Include data to support how the program or project will lead to an increase in adoptions
- Identify any collaborations with other The Right Horse partners and/or local equine industry professionals that will support the program or project
- Clearly and succinctly outline the program or project
- Describe how the program or project will welcome adopters in a judgment-free way
- Describe the target audience of adopters, the opportunity, and how you will engage them
- Identify any expected barriers and how you plan to overcome them
- Identify how many horses your program or project will help
- Describe the population of horses targeted for adoption by this program or project
- Include a project timeline
- Include a detailed budget
Fund Use Examples from Past Grantees
- Six Steps to Create and Adoption Academy and Increase Horse Adoption
- They Did It: Created a Barn-Leasing Program to Grow Their Own Adopters
- 3 Tips for Growing Your Own Adopters and Welcoming First-Time Horse Owners
Grant Review Timeline
- July 1st: RFP opens
- August 2nd: RFP closes
- On or around August 20th: Finalists notified
- September 16th: Finalists present at Summit, winner(s) selected and announced that evening at the reception.
- Review the application questions and required information to prepare to complete the form in one session.
- Submit your application.
Please be sure all requested information is included in your responses. Applications cannot be revised after submission