The ASPCA is inviting proposals for funding from agencies providing direct support to companion animals, equines, and their owners in communities currently or recently impacted by or at high risk for natural disasters. Applicants must be authorized disaster response agencies for their local jurisdiction or another jurisdiction to qualify. Not sure if your agency is eligible? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grants will range generally from $25,000 - $75,000.
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be an established 501(c)(3) or governmental entity located within the United States and territories
- Must be an authorized disaster response agency integrated into a jurisdiction’s emergency disaster response through an existing MOU, by being written into the jurisdiction’s disaster plan, by way of a formal request on official letterhead from an agency having jurisdiction, or by similar means that verify the organization’s official and ongoing role.
- If a past ASPCA® grant recipient, must be current on all reporting requirements
- If a 501(c)(3) organization
- Must be an incorporated or organized legal entity in good standing with the Secretary of State in the state where the organization is incorporated or organized
- Must have a board of at least 4 members with a majority of independent members with neither board chair nor treasurer receiving compensation from the organization
This grant opportunity is available to all organizations meeting the above criteria. Priority will be given to groups with a history of disaster response working within a jurisdiction’s official emergency disaster response structure as well as a demonstrated commitment to disaster preparedness and located in the following states: Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, and Washington. Review FEMA's list of declared disasters to see if your state has been recognized by the federal government.
Funding Restrictions & Parameters
Funding may be requested to cover expenses incurred or pending in a current or recent disaster occurring on or after April 1, 2020. Funding is also available for capacity-building and preparedness for future natural disasters.
Priorities for funding include costs related to animal rescue, sheltering, food, and vet care incurred by the applicant.
All proposals must designate at least 20% of requested funding for capacity-building and preparedness for future disasters. This includes but is not limited to:
- emergency shelter and veterinary equipment and supplies necessary for temporary sheltering
- field rescue gear and supplies
- animal transport equipment and supplies including vehicles for local evacuation
Requests for funding that are designated entirely for capacity-building and preparedness will also be accepted from authorized disaster response agencies not impacted by or not needing support for current or recent disasters.
Applicants will be evaluated on their role, history of effectiveness, and need for support.
Organizations applying for the ASPCA’s COVID-19 Emergency Relief grant initiative are also eligible for this initiative.
- Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis beginning Monday, October 12, at 9:00 a.m. ET until Tuesday, December 1, at 2:00 p.m. ET or until all available funding is allotted, whichever comes first. Groups are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible.
- Candidates will be notified via email by Tuesday, November 17th, or within two weeks of application, whichever is later, if their organizations have been selected to complete formal applications in our grant management system.
How to Apply
- Download the application checklist to help you stay organized.
- Read the complete requirements and gather your information.
- Complete the application in one sitting, it cannot be saved or revised.
Please ensure all requested information is gathered and included in your responses.
Please direct all questions to email@example.com.