Help a Horse Day has always been about elevating equine welfare—and this year we are thrilled to announce that the contest is moving in an exciting new direction: adoption!
Motivated by the results of the ASPCA’s recent equine research and the great increases in adoptions realized by many partners of The Right Horse Initiative in the last year, Help a Horse Day 2018 is squarely focused on finding good homes for horses.
Recognizing that finding those adopters may require new processes and creativity, the contest is structured to reward organizations that identify individuals who either adopt during the contest period or make a commitment to adopt.
Who Can Compete
Any organization that houses equines in need of homes and is a registered 501(c)(3) or governmental agency is welcome to participate in the redesigned contest.
How You’ll Be Judged
- Number of adoptions and commitments to adopt (40%)
- Dollar value of donations (25%)
- Adoption campaign (20%)
- Adoption video (15%)
A minimum of one equine adoption during the contest period is required to be eligible for prizes.
17 Ways to Win
In terms of organizational size, we know there are Clydesdales and Welsh ponies out there and we encourage all to register and compete knowing that we will have three size divisions with five prizes within each division. We also have special prizes for best overall adoption video and best overall adoption campaign. In all there are $110,000 in grant prizes!
Whether you are a rescue, sanctuary, shelter or animal control agency, we welcome you to join us in innovating how best to find and connect good people with good horses.
Registration is open from January 23-April 5, 2018. Please read the contest rules and have this information in hand:
- 2017 budget
- Capacity (number of horses you can house)
- Number of adoptions in 2017
- Number of adoptions between April & June 2017
- Help a Horse Day Contest 2018 (Recording)
- Horse Matchmaking 101: Evaluation, Training & Finding a Match (Recording)
- Supercharge Equine Adoptions with Innovative Marketing March 20, 3-4 p.m. ET
- Expert Tips for Telling, Pitching & Sharing Your Stories April 4, 3-4 p.m. ET
Learn best practices for social and traditional media, find day-of documents like photo and video releases and grab the handy press release template, all right here.
Find the answers you're looking for. Download the FAQ.
- January 23: Contest announced
- January 23-April 5: Register
- January 24-April 26: Plan, create, learn
- April 26: Contest launches
- April 26-June 30: Adopt, promote, get commitments, get donations, get creative
- May 31: Adoption videos submitted
- July 8: Grant applications with contest reporting due
- Late August: Winners announced