Use the Squeeze assessment item to:
- Determine the dog's sensitivity response, bite inhibition, acceptance of being held or touched in a mildly controlled and unpleasant manner
- Determine what the dog chooses to do when given warning that something mildly unpleasant will happen a second time
STOP the Assessment if . . .
The dog tries to bite. Proceed to the Food Behavior and Toy Behavior items if you want more information about the dog.
Watch Item 4 in Action
Tips for Success
- Move the dog into position before sitting down, or lure him into place using voice and hand movements. Do not physically force the dog into position.
- Don't lean or reach over the back of the dog.
- Use the front paw closest to you.
- Do not hold onto the foot if the dog wants to withdraw it.
- Apply pressure with fingertips only; never use fingernails.
- Repeat twice unless it is unsafe to do so.
- If the dog struggles or immediately pulls back when you first reach for the paw, squeeze the rear flank instead of the skin between the toes.
- If the dog reacts strongly when you first pick up the paw, use the rear flank.