1. Record weight and body condition score (BCS) when you examine animals at intake, and repeat regularly throughout shelter stay.
2. Provide the correct amounts of food for dogs and cats of different weights and life stages. Our calculator lets you enter the number of kcalories per cup of a specific food and then calculates the quantities for weight and life stage for dogs and cats.
3. Create a written feeding protocol for each group of animal population in your shelter based on the foods in use, and train your staff to use the protocol.
4. Assign staff to feed animals at consistent times.
5. Monitor whether animals are eating, drinking, and eliminating. Worksheets help you track this information consistently. If you observe significant appetite or elimination abnormalities, route animals promptly to the veterinarian.
ASV Shelter Guidelines for this Topic
Use a Food Calculator
Five Tips for Good Nutrition
Body Condition Scores
Examine Animals at Intake
Food As Enrichment for Shelter Dogs
Re-feeding Starved Animals
UC Davis Nutrition Recommendations
ASV Shelter Guidelines (series)