Recognizing that people frequently give up their pets because they
can't find rental housing that will accept their pets, the Richmond,
Virginia SPCA publishes a pet-friendly housing guide on their website.
"The Pet-Friendly Housing Guide reinforces the idea that a pet is a lifelong commitment."
Richmond, VA SPCA
What It Takes
- Detail-oriented staff members or volunteers to collect, publish, and update housing information.
- An existing website or funds to print a guide.
- 4 months to collect the initial information.
What We Like
- This is an excellent example of identifying and addressing a major reason animals end up in the shelter.
- A Pet-Friendly Housing Guide costs nothing to produce if
volunteers collect the information and the guide is posted on an
Step by Step
- Download the complete profile (.pdf).
- Assess for yourself whether this program is right for your agency.
- Create and implement a plan for your agency.
- Tell us how it goes.
Resources and Sample Materials
Pet-Friendly Housing Guide