Spay Maine, a coalition of 20 – 25 animal shelters, rescue groups, animal control officers, and animal welfare advocates, convinced legislators to establish a targeted low-cost voucher program administered by the state and funded by a variety of revenue sources.
"Your goal is to make presentations to your state legislature in rooms that are overflowing with your supporters."
What it Takes
- Dedicated leaders willing to put in the time.
- A well-defined concept.
- Knowledge of available funding sources in your state.
- A grassroots coalition to lobby for and promote the program.
- Buy-in from the state veterinary association.
What We Like
grassroots effort, started by a private citizen who took programs from
New Hampshire and New Jersey and adapted them to the specific needs and
funding opportunities in Maine.
Step by Step
- Download the complete profile (.pdf)
- Assess for yourself whether this program is right for your agency.
- Grab the sample materials and get started.
- Tell us how it goes.