Other Animal Welfare Funders
Note: Please be sure to carefully review the guidelines and eligibility criteria of individual funders prior to contacting them with questions or submitting a request for support. We also encourage you to review our recommendations for researching foundations, and to sign up for access to our grants webinars, which provide free resources, guidance, and information on funding for animal welfare programs.
- In addition to the ASPCA, some of the largest national animal welfare funders who invite grant applications via their web sites include: American Humane Association, Maddie's Fund, Petfinder Foundation and PetSmart Charities.
- Philanthropy News Digest – Animal Welfare Requests for Proposals: Current announcements of specific funding initiatives for which grant applications are invited.
- Animal Grantmakers Affinity Group: An association of funders whose grant programs benefit animals.
- Animal Sheltering – Grant Listings: A list of funding sources compiled by the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).
- Grants for Animal Welfare Nonprofits and Grants for Animal Rescue and Rehabilitation: Lists of funding sources compiled by Michigan State University and University of Wisconsin-Madison Libraries, respectively.
- The PEDIGREE Foundation: Grants are limited to projects that benefit dogs. Operation Grants are limited to $1,000 and may be used to support general operating expenses. Innovation Grants ranging from $10,000 to $25,000 must be used for projects that directly increase the number of dogs being adopted from organizations.
- AnimalDisasterFunding.org: During certain major disasters, this site will include a Request for Proposals (RFP) and link to a grant application form that organizations assisting animals can submit for review by multiple participating funders.
Additional Resources on the Web
- Animal Sheltering – Fundraising Resources: Archive of articles and tips from Animal Sheltering magazine (published by HSUS) on increasing income and donations
- The Foundation Center's GrantSpace: Free tools and guidance for effective grantseeking and nonprofit management
- Foundation Directory Online – Free: A Foundation Center search tool providing open access to basic information on approximately 90,000 foundations
- Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) – Resource Center: Recommendations for best practices in fundraising from various AFP publications
- Animal Shelter Tips and The Lion's Share: Two blogs that offer fundraising resources for animal welfare organizations
- Tips on using crowdfunding as a fundraising strategy via platforms such as LoveAnimals, Indiegogo, StayClassy, FirstGiving, and CauseVox
- General information on what crowdfunding is, crowdfunding tips for beginners, crowdfunding best practices, and choosing the right crowdfunding platform for your organization