New York State Animal Population Control Program
The New York State Animal Population Control Program is a low-cost spay/neuter grant program administered by the ASPCA on behalf of the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets.
For the full, specific guidelines and eligibility requirements for this program, please click here. Or watch the webinar Getting Funding for Spay/Neuter Programs in NYS. Below is a summary of the program.
Read an article about APCP here. Reprinted with permission, Association of Towns, April 2012.
Eligibility Requirements for Applicants
The following types of organizations are eligible to apply to the ASPCA for APCP grant funds:
- Municipal or county animal shelters and animal control
- 501(c)(3) non-profit animal welfare organizations
- Organizations must be based in upstate New York or Long Island (New York City is excluded from the APCP program)
Designated Beneficiaries of APCP Grant Projects
As required by New York State law, the allocation of APCP grants is restricted to entities providing low-cost spay/neuter services for the following populations:
1) canines and felines of New York State residents who receive public assistance AND/OR
2) canines and felines of New York State residents who have adopted an animal from a qualified nonprofit or government organization
Proposals may include the following types of funding requests:
- Co-pay or voucher or similar programs
- Infrastructure, capital improvements and equipment Spay/neuter events
- Targeted spay/neuter programs
- Payroll and expense support for new staff hires, including veterinarians, vet techs or other staff Mobile and MASH-style spay/neuter programs, including equipment, vehicles and costs associated with vehicles.
- Stipends for costs, including fees and travel expenses, associated with the training of staff and veterinarians in low-cost spay/neuter techniques for High-Quality High-Volume Spay/Neuter (HQHVSN) Costs associated with the implementation, expansion and sustainability of HQHVSN programs.
- Other projects that either directly or indirectly provide demonstrable low-cost spay/neuter services to designated beneficiaries.
How to Apply
To be considered for a grant, you must submit your request online through this link:
Application for New York State APCP Spay/Neuter Grants
- Submit one project per application. Multiple applications are encouraged if your organization is seeking APCP funding for more than one project. Please refer to the ASPCA's general requirements for a list of documentation you may be asked to submit with your grant application.
- Organizations may reapply through the normal process at any time for consideration for additional APCP funds.
- There are no deadlines to submit applications.
- There are no minimums or maximums for requested grant amounts. However, funded grant amounts may differ from requested amounts.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
To help you prepare prior to applying online, you can download a sample application.
Animal Population Control Program guidelines are subject to change based on legal interpretation and any future amendments to the state law that created it. Please be understanding if your proposals or elements of your proposals are deemed ineligible for APCP funding following review by ASPCA staff for both quality and adherence to the provisions of the law.