For a seasonal project, designing animal-themed holiday cards and selling them to family and friends is a great fun way to raise money for your local animal welfare organization.
Before You Start
Decide on the number of people to be in each group. Each group will design one card. In your group, discuss and decide on the design for the card. The following are a few tips and ideas:
- The more complicated the design, the longer it will take to produce the cards.
- Calculate how much you can spend per card and the price at which you will sell them.
- Estimate the cost of making each card and take this into consideration when designing the layout. (Don’t forget the envelopes.)
- Visit a craft store to get an idea of what materials are available and how much these items cost.
- Compose an animal-themed poem for the front of the card.
- Ask family and friends if they would be interested in purchasing these cards so you can get an idea of the number you may need to make.
Materials You May Need
- Good quality cardstock
- Add-ons that you have decided to use, e.g. stickers, fabric, different colored card, etc.
- Colored pens/pencils
- Paper cutter/scissors
- Computer and printer
Once you have all agreed on the design, draw up a plan of action which includes deadlines. Nominate a team leader to assign a task to each person.
Where to Donate Proceeds
You can find a shelter near you at www.aspca.org/findashelter. Contact them to find out if they’d like to receive your donations.