In 1997, The Humane Society of Boulder Valley (HSBV) in Boulder,
Colorado, broke new ground when they shifted from using rigid
guidelines to screen potential adopters to conducting friendly
collaborative conversations designed to facilitate strong people/pet
"In adopters we trust."
Humane Society of Boulder Valley
What it Takes
- Commitment to change at all levels in the organization.
- Staff involvement in planning.
- Willingness to examine existing policies and procedures from the public's point of view.
- Effective shelter operations.
- Access to resources (such as behavior training) to support pet/guardian relationships.
- Time to plan for dramatic change.
What We Like
HSBV showed how trusting the public and paying attention to the
needs of both sides of the pet/guardian relationship results in
stronger adoptions and improved community support. This revolutionary
approach has since proved successful in communities across the country
from big cities such as Boston and Dallas to small rural communities
such as Leverett, MA, and Keene, NH.
Step by Step
- Download the complete profile (PDF)
- Assess for yourself whether this program is right for your agency.
- Grab the sample materials and get started.
- Tell us how it goes.